Bought an Abnormal Epi LP Studio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought an Abnormal Epi LP Studio

I just bought an Epiphone Les Paul Studio but it is uncharactersitic of a normal LP Studio. I thought LP Studio's normally only come with dot inlays and uncovered humbuckers but this one has trapezoid inlays and covered alnico humbuckers. It has no binding which is normal for a LP Studio and that suits me fine. It was on sale at my local music store for $380 and I had to try it out since it had the added bonus of covered pups & trapezoid inlays which I prefer on a Gibbie type gtr. It played great and sounded good for stock pups though I will have to put some Seth Lovers or 59's in it later. The nut, neck and workmanship looked to be perfect. The slim neck fit my playing style perfect, but I will have to lower the strings just a bit. I don't like really low strings but the action was a bit too high for me but that's an easy problem to fix. I tried out a Gibson LP Studio a while back and didn't care for it or the 498b & 490n stock pups. This Epiphone blew the Gibson away both in tone and feel. I had an instant GAS attack and had to have it. I figure the pots & switch are not as good as Gibson but I can replace those if it comes to it.

I wonder what the deal is with the deviation from the normal Epi LP Studio specs and why some have the trapezoid inlays and covered pups though the specs don't call for that on LP Studios, neither Epiphones nor Gibsons???

Re: Bought an Abnormal Epi LP Studio

lp studios changed from dot to trapezpoid inlays long time ago. since 1990 to exact. maybe you're refering to the lp-100 epi which has dot inlays, uncovered pickups and bolt-on neck
    Last edited by bryvincent; 09-13-2004, 03:52 PM.
    2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

I'm not referring to the LP -100. The specs on the Epi web site still show the LP Studio to have dot inlays. I also bought a new Gibson LP Studio in 2002 that had dot inlays.

Comment

Even better, since you got the upcharge model. It's not uncommon for companies to have a regular model, then a slightly nicer one for $30-$50 more. Maybe it was a limited run for GC, or something similar.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

The 2003 Epi calalog shows a stock LP Studio with trapazoid inlays and covered humbuckers.

Same goes for the Studio in the 2003 Gibson catolog.

Don't trust the Epi site for accurate info. If you check out the Epi LP Gothic, it's basically a of a Gibson LP Gothic that's been photoshopped with the Epi name and new 12th fret inlay (which looks nothing like the inlay that's actually on the production Epi Gothics....)
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Actually, the studio epi's have been revamped this year. A year ago you'd find them with covered pups and trapazoid inlays, now, you find them with dots and uncovered. It's pretty skanky.
            You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

Working...
            X