Last call!: TSL60 vs SL-X vs Knucklehead 55

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last call!: TSL60 vs SL-X vs Knucklehead 55

Like I said last call, I've gotten a great deal of ups and downs, the main down is that my dream amp has been pulled right in front of my nose, because the guy who wanted to buy my guitar backed out (yeah after holding it for him and stuff, even taking it to his house so he could try it out himself)

The Knucklehead however is still an option, a difficult option might I add.
    Please help me with these amps:

Marshall TSL60 head: Mint, 20 hours of play, no footswitch though, but I might get a better price for it: 600 bucks (maybe a little less because of the footswitch)

Marshall JCM900 SL-X: New, 500 bucks (could probably lower a little on this also)

Rivera Knucklehead Reverb 55W, here's the tricky part, I have to buy an amp I don't want for this guy in order for me to get it. The pro is that I'll be paying 700 bucks for this amp though

They'll be running through a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12

I can probably get the SL-X in a few weeks, the TSL60 in a about one and a half month, but the Rivera in late December. Now do you guys think it's worth the wait for the Rivera, or are these two other amps also really good?

Thanks again (remember last call, I won't bother you again with these stupid questions )
    Last edited by Neeradj; 09-15-2004, 10:56 AM.
    Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
    Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
    Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
    Marshall 2x12 Vintage
    Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Re: Last call!: TSL60 vs SL-X vs Knucklehead 55

I think that of the options you listed, the Rivera is far and away the best amp. I'm not a fan of the TSL tone, if it were a DSL it would be a much tighter race. That Knucklehead won't let you down. Great amp.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

Have you played them all? If so, which one did you like best?

If you haven't, it's pretty risky to buy an amp model that you haven't played. I've done it once but I got it for a price that made it a no-risk situation.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
      My Music

Comment

i like the sl-x alot. you should be able to get that price down, maybe even to around $400 give or take a bit. the knucklehead will definately be the best, so if you can save the money, go for it, but if not - or you're just that impatient - i'd go with the sl-x over the tsl but i'd try to get the price down some.

Comment

I asked Jeff Seal about the SL-X's and this is what he had to say:

The SLX is not a chassis that is easy to work with. Plus which, the entire 900 series line uses the "smaller" tranny's which were rather disappointing at best. I would highly avoid these, if possible.
          I'd take Jeff's advice as Gospel. These amps really appealed to me too for their two Gain knobs (1-10 and 11-20.... beat that Spinal Tap!), but I'd trust Jeff on this one.

I haven't heard much good stuff as far as newer Marshalls go. Actually, I haven't heard good stuff of any Marshall after the JCM800/Silver Jubilee models. I've also heard something about the way the DSL's and TSL's are coming from the factories, something about their biasing (forgive me for not using the correct term in this next word) or the way their "set-up" so to speak is not up-to-par.

I have heard nothing but rave reviews of the Riveras. Twighlight Odyssey will feel a disturbance in the force and probably respond, you can't even say "Rivera" here without him not knowing about it .

I'd say go for the Rivera. Yeah, it's a long time to wait, but hell... it's a Rivera. Awesome cleans, Awesome gain.
          7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys

I actually want to add two more amps to the list, I think they will really give you a much better idea. I also really trust Jeff Seal, so the Sl-X is out of the race. I've heard a lot of Knucklehead clips, but never played one, I'll have to go out of town to do that (which I am going to do). The TSL60 is indeed a win/lose situation, but I will try before buying it ofcourse

New list:

Rivera Knucklehead 55: 700 bucks, not negociable
            Marshall TSL60 head: 600 bucks, negociable

Marshall JCM800 2210 100W: 599 bucks, OMG what a low price I must add, might even send it over to Jeff Seal next year when I have more cash, I don't know if it's negociable but it's darn mint!

Marshall 1987X Plexi Reissue 50W: 750 euros, might get a better deal for it though, a friend of mine who is a friend of the seller gave him a high gain clip I found, and to my pleasant suprise he it could do it! Now I'm really gassing for that Van Halen, George Lynch-ish sound, does this Plexi also do that?

Thanks again
            Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Neeradj
              Marshall JCM800 2210 100W: 599 bucks, OMG what a low price I must add, might even send it over to Jeff Seal next year when I have more cash, I don't know if it's negociable but it's darn mint!
              Dude no questions asked, get the 2210. then send it to Jeff. End of story man, definately go for that. A great amp to being with that'll just blow your mind after its finished being modded.

Comment

I have a TSL 60 and a friend has a 900. I like my TSL better. I 've heard the 50W 800's quit often and they do sound great. However, for the many different styles I like to play I have to go with the TSL. I use it mostly for home recording so I don't even use the footswitch.

(I really have to get to posting some TSL clips)

Comment

Originally posted by joelap
                  I have heard nothing but rave reviews of the Riveras. Twighlight Odyssey will feel a disturbance in the force and probably respond, you can't even say "Rivera" here without him not knowing about it .
                  What's all this?!! LOL

I say: go with the amp you like the best, but I should say, compared to the other amps you mentioned, it's no contest: the Rivera is superior in every way, shape and form.

There, I said it!!

Edit: BTW, I also own an Engl rig, a Marshall JCM800 from the 80's, and have a Marshall EL34 100/100 power amp, so I'm not talking out of my arse when I throw down my opinions of Marshall v. Rivera.
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                    I say: go with the amp you like the best, but I should say, compared to the other amps you mentioned, it's no contest: the Rivera is superior in every way, shape and form.

There, I said it!!
                    Called it.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                      What's all this?!! LOL

There, I said it!!

Edit: BTW, I also own an Engl rig, a Marshall JCM800 from the 80's, and have a Marshall EL34 100/100 power amp, so I'm not talking out of my arse when I throw down my opinions of Marshall v. Rivera.
                      I know, I know , but I'm curious why do you keep the Marshall JCM800 if you like your Rivera better anyway?

I was really gassing for that Rivera, I was ready to pull the string but my dreams were kinda shattered when the guy who was going to buy my Ibanez backed out. I'm kinda leaning towards the JCM800 and Rivera, really TwilightOdyssey the only two thing which are keeping me from getting the Rivera is time. How much longer can I go without a tube amp

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

In your local tradepaper, place an ad that is a Marshall, Mesa, Rivera WANTED ad.
                        Do it when you've got at least $400 in cash. In the same ad, state that you've got cash or an Ibanez guitar for trade. Then, you'll UP your odds of getting a better deal on a better amp. Who knows, maybe a guy will bring a mint DSL50 over and swap it for your Ibanez. I place ads like those before Christmas, and you'd be amazed at what sacrifices guys are willing to make when they need cash and have a loud amp and no band.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Neeradj
                          I'm curious why do you keep the Marshall JCM800 if you like your Rivera better anyway?
                          The 800 is my backup rig, actually. I like the tone, but it only does one sound. It isn't nearly as versatile as the Rivera.
                          The other reason is because the other guitarist in the band only has a Valvestate head right now, and the combination of my Marshall and his sounds better than my Rivera and his Marshall. The Rivera just eats the Vavlestate alive when they're against each other!!
                          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                            In your local tradepaper, place an ad that is a Marshall, Mesa, Rivera WANTED ad.
                            Do it when you've got at least $400 in cash. In the same ad, state that you've got cash or an Ibanez guitar for trade. Then, you'll UP your odds of getting a better deal on a better amp. Who knows, maybe a guy will bring a mint DSL50 over and swap it for your Ibanez. I place ads like those before Christmas, and you'd be amazed at what sacrifices guys are willing to make when they need cash and have a loud amp and no band.
                            Thanks for the advise but I don't really feel like doing that, I've tried the DSL50 and wasn't superimpressed. I don't know if the guy was lazy and left the MG cabinet in the room and put the DSL on top (I'm guessing yes!), but I also played a crappy guitar. Now the DSL did sound brutal but the sound didn't impress me. I picked up the Ibanez yesterday and OMG I was shredding my way to George Lynch and Randy Rhoads using the neck pick up, so I think I'll really regret selling this beauty. I will sell it if I can get the advertised cash or else I'm keeping it, to play my way up to lead-heaven

@Naps: Yes you do, I really would like to hear those!

Anyway guys, I levelled things down and if the JCM800 guy replies and that thing doesn't sell too fast I'm getting it. The Rivera is my best option yes, but I'm just too impatient . If my plans with the JCM800 fail, I think I'll get the Rivera in December though. Also the Jeff Seal mod really appeals to me, getting the tone you crave is every player's dream isn't it?

Thanks for all your help, and I'll defenitely let you know when I finally have it.

You guys ROCK!

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

My advice (for what it's worth) is to wait it out. Play these amps, get a feel for the tone and response, look around for deals and when the moment is right, strike. If you really like your Ibanez, then maybe it would be worth it to just wait for a while, save your money and not sell it at all.

Out of those choices, I'd recommend the Knucklehead. If you want just one killer distortion sound, get a 1987X and get it modded from an ace like Jeff Seal or somebody like Trace (from Voodoo amps). It's already voiced for plexi-ish tones, so I'm sure both of them could easily tweak it to sound more authentic and if you crave hotter plexi tones, I'm pretty sure it could be done without any blinking as well. However, for cleans and distortion, the Knucklehead is a solid choice.
                              Originally posted by kevlar3000
                              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                              Originally posted by Zerberus
                              Better is often the enemy of good
                              Originally posted by ginormous
                              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
                              X