Custom Luthier Made Guitars....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Custom Luthier Made Guitars....

That Explorer/Firebird belonged to Steve Holland or Duane Roland of Molly Hatchet at one time in the early '80s. Last I saw it was '88 at a shop no longer there on the westside.
    Aint no pro but I know what I like....
    Guitar to sound output:
    Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Originally posted by BTMN View Post
      That Explorer/Firebird belonged to Steve Holland or Duane Roland of Molly Hatchet at one time in the early '80s. Last I saw it was '88 at a shop no longer there on the westside.
      Yeah, American Music.. When I first moved to Jax in 85, there were several more shops here and ALL KIND of guitars that were owned by the hometown boys were on the used wall.. I think that was the time they were all on the downside of popularity and the upside of dependency. I didnt have enough to score any of the good axes tho, but I played a few of Dave Hlubecks cast offs ..
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Banner Thomas, the original Bassist was working at American in '85. How do I know? I STUPIDLY traded a BADASS Hamer Vector (Flying V) with him. It was one of Dave's castoffs I had bought in December of '82. I still have the other Dave guitar I bought that December thankfully. It is a '79 Hamer Standard. It's the one on the right....

Last edited by BTMN; 03-24-2009, 05:52 AM.
        Guitar to sound output:
        Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Man, what a small world.. I probably dealt with the guy then. A good friend and I used to go to the shops all the time.. Sadly, we started calling American the shop of attitude, cuz the guys in there wouldnt speak to you or anything unless you started waiving a roll of cash.. That same buddy scored a great deal on a Peavey Wolfgang from them at the going out of biz sale. And, ironically, that same buddy now lives in your neck of the woods.

Gorgeous Hamers.. Id love to get one.. How do the neck size and all compare to a gibson explorer?
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Those are on the thin D size and shape wise. Gotta give them respect, but they "handle' real well, and you can "wiggle" them right into your vibrato style. Newer necks sizes and shapes vary on that model. I love some big old Fat "Vintage" shape.
            Guitar to sound output:

Comment

My custom is allmost done. It's kelly body 1 piece neck/body made out of wenge.
              8 strings ,multiscale (High G at 24,5" ,low A at 27") all scalloped 27 frets on a maple board.All scalloped etc. I'll post a new thread when it's done!
              www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

I have one of Joe Driskill's early guitars.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                My Music

Comment

Originally posted by BTMN View Post
                  Banner Thomas, the original Bassist was working at American in '85. How do I know? I STUPIDLY traded a BADASS Hamer Vector (Flying V) with him. It was one of Dave's castoffs I had bought in December of '82. I still have the other Dave guitar I bought that December thankfully. It is a '79 Hamer Standard. It's the one on the right....

bt, do you want to sell dave hlubec's guitar ? he is one of my fav guitarist, btw my brother & i had a long conversation w/ duane roland about a yr or so before he died, saw him w / southern rock allstars in rochelle illinois, we tried to buy him a drink, but he bought us one instead, rammer

Comment

i have a LOTHSON guitar, i had larry build it about 1983-84? serial # 0001 it is the only one like it, i will try to put a pic of it up, btw LOTHSON GUITARS is just about ready to start building again , he has lots of very old wood, in fact he bought what was left from gibson when they moved , i have his ph # if anyone is interestd, hell of a nice guy, & very knowlegble (sic ?) yea , we are friends..

Comment

Hi, I would liketo see a picture. I have access to and early one as well.

Comment

I might end up getting one. I'm saving up for an ESP Horizon, but a mate of mine is attending a three year luthier course. He gave me an estimate that wouldn't be much pricier than the ESP, def worth it if I can have it made to my specs. Not that I'm really a good enough guitarist to warrant a custom axe but hell, if the price is the same.
                        --------------------------------------------------------
                        1973 Aria 551
                        1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                        1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                        1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                        1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                        2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Here's an Allen Chester that's been on CL forever...

No pics,tho...

"Scalloped & Stickered"
                          A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Working...
                          X