power tube broke, time for new 'ens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power tube broke, time for new 'ens

what should i go for? a la hot rod deluxe. I really don't wanna change the tone at all, other than keep the way they amp sounds at 1 or less all the way up to 5 or so. You know how bassy & middy & thick hotrods are at lower volumes, i want it constant, to be paired with a jensen c12n, which i guess is gonna do the same thing for me. Anyhoo, i want as much headroom as possible, tube OD is bad, the hot rod deluxe page reccomended NOS 6v6's, but like i said i want something that sounds like a groove tube does at low volumes, i have no tube expirience. Any reccomendations? Cheap is good, but if its worth it for the price i don't mind throwing down a little extra. Also, long tube life is important, i play ALL the time, and i'll be breaking in a new speaker with them
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Re: power tube broke, time for new 'ens

how did you "break" the other one?

I'm not sure of the long-life aspect, but for new production tubes, get a set of the Groove Tube 6L6GE's. They sound pretty nice to my ears.

I just got a pair of TAD 6L6's and they're supposed to be fairly cheap, but I've not got to try them.

Gearho recommends the winged C Svet's.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

it sounds liek its on constant tremolo & sustain kill

the page said to use 6l6gc's by the way

Comment

Go JJ 6L6GC's, i have some in my mesa 50cal combo and it sounds fantastic and thick and warm for clean. Ive got some clips if you're interested.

They are affordable and very very good.
        My Soundclick page.

Comment

the jjs are a great clean tube, great for bass amps, jazz, country and metal. a little stiff for my taste in blues, but i like power tube od so these might work well for ya.
          the gt6l6ge's seem to be a great tube and supposedly last longer than any other new tube out there.

i wouldnt put 6v6's in there, youll lose all your clean headroom. great for getting power tube compression at lower volume but not so great for what you want to do.
          the stock groove tubes you had in there are probably the russian ones

Comment

hey drew... didja take the amp to a tech or something just to make sure thats what the problem was? Is there one in your area?

Comment

not yet, i'm gonna mess with the action first, and if that doesn't work, then yeah

Comment

Working...
              X