Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MESA B Question

Hey guys, I have Q. I can get Mesa Triple Req for $600 used but pretty good
    condition. I am into two different sounds, classic hard rock like Sabbath, Deep Purple, Old Scorpions, Uriah Heap and into stuff like Nightwish, Rammstein, Powerman 5000, some Helloween and occasional Yngwe moment during the leads. I am also really big in to palm mute pick harmonics type of riffs. I play Tex mex fat Strat with invader(AND I LOVE IT !!!) So do you think it will be a good option for me ???
    Active Duty Rig:
    MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
    Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Re: MESA B Question

Yes.

Mine'll get some great Sabbath and Rammstein type sounds, and the palm mutes are huge and thump hard.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

It's a good price, but power is a big deal as well. Do you play out a lot or are you more of a bedroom player? The Triple Recto is pretty versatile, but it's one LOUD amp. If you like heavy stuff like Rammstein, Powerman 5k, then it will get that in spades. It can be tweaked to do some decent classic rock (not as good as a Marshall IMHO). However, the cleans are better than Marshalls and for that price, I'd say to jump on it.

If worse comes to worse, get an attenuator for bedroom use.
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

i have a theory that a zakk wylde pedal run over a big muff would sound like a mesa
        Originally posted by gibson175
        metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty
          i have a theory that a zakk wylde pedal run over a big muff would sound like a mesa

Hmm. Never thought of that one...

..I'll give it a try tonight, though it'll probably sound more Smashing Pumpkins than Mesa...
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

A Mesa Triple Recto for $600.!!
            For that price, you can't go wrong no matter what type of hard rock/metal you play!
            If it's an older two channel model, try a set of EL34/6CA7's in it. The Triple's sound better with EL34's than the Dual's do with 6L6's or EL34's.

Comment

Thanks guys,

MSGfan, I am complete moron when it comes to tubes can you elaborate on the tones
              of those tubes you've described. Also can you have marshals "svetlana" tubes on Mesa. Thank again.
              Active Duty Rig:
              MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
              Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi
                Thanks guys,

MSGfan, I am complete moron when it comes to tubes can you elaborate on the tones
                of those tubes you've described. Also can you have marshals "svetlana" tubes on Mesa. Thank again.
                In a high gain amps the 6L6's have a slightly larger and tighter low end than the EL34/6CA7's but the EL34/6CA7's have a real nice upper mid range tone that the 6L6's don't seem to produce as much and they tend to have a nicer break up (power tube) distortion tone.
                With the Rectos, I've never had a problem with not having enough low end.
                The triple Recto's have a different tone I belive due to the more powerful transformers for the 150 watts of the six power amp tubes and three rectifier tubes.
                I play a lot of the same music you do, old Scorpions, Deep Purple, UFO, Thin Lizzy, Tygers of Pan Tang and I like the sound of the EL34/6CA7 tubes in the Triple better for that nice British hard rock/metal tone!
                The Svetlana tubes should work as long as they comform the the "fixed bias" range that the Mesa amps have.
                Most places that sell tubes can set you up with the correct biased tubes if you tell them they are going in a Mesa.
                If you want the get Groove tubes, the range is, 4, 5, and 6.

Comment

Mesa triple recto for 600!!!!
                  Go get it, now!!! You know how much those cost new? About 2000 - 3000!!!!!!
                  Is the thing broken or something?
                  And I though I got a good deal on the Bogner...

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
                    It's a good price, but power is a big deal as well. Do you play out a lot or are you more of a bedroom player? The Triple Recto is pretty versatile, but it's one LOUD amp. If you like heavy stuff like Rammstein, Powerman 5k, then it will get that in spades. It can be tweaked to do some decent classic rock (not as good as a Marshall IMHO). However, the cleans are better than Marshalls and for that price, I'd say to jump on it.

If worse comes to worse, get an attenuator for bedroom use.
                    Perfectly said. +1

Comment

Where's the Dilemma? Even if you don;t like it you can put it on ebay and make a SERIOUS profit!

My friend, GET IT NOW!!!
                      7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Working...
                      X