bounded firgerboards ?¿?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bounded firgerboards ?¿?

so, what is exactly a bounded firgerboard and/or what´s the difference betwen these and a standard one?

thanks a lot dudes...
    Peavey Studio Pro 112

LTD Explorer 400 w/ EMG 81 set
    Ibanez SZ 520 QM w/ Dimebucker + 59'
    Seagull S12+ acoustic

Boss Digital Delay DD-3, Super Chorus CH-1, Chromatic Tuner TU-2. Dunlop Mr. Crybaby

Re: bounded firgerboards ?¿?

bounded FBs have the plastic strip on the edges
    here's a les paul from ebay with bound FB

another one

Last edited by bryvincent; 09-19-2004, 07:24 AM.
    2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

A bound fretboard is "outlined" in Plastic or shell, and depending on the style of binding (over the frets or not) feels different than an unbound one.

Other than that , It´s pure cosmetics. I personally like binding, it adds a touch of class to most axes
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

so most of jacksons have them righ?

btw i have seen this RGT3020 recently with that bound thing, and was wondering of the differences, in terms of feeling and playing, betwen this one

and the RGT2020

....thanks a lot zerb
        Peavey Studio Pro 112

Seagull S12+ acoustic

Boss Digital Delay DD-3, Super Chorus CH-1, Chromatic Tuner TU-2. Dunlop Mr. Crybaby

Comment

If you ever need a refret, you'll pay more to refret a bound neck. Zerb is right, the feel is slightly different, but it's mostly just a cosmetic thing.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Some of the bound frets will either cover the fretwire at the end and some of them do not. It is a costly exercise to have one re-fretted that is bound and also with the fretwire covered should something ever go wrong. The ones that I have that are bound are my Hamers (see below) and they play a lot better - a bit like having the ends of your frets polished smooth so that you don't catch your fingers over the wire.

My Hamer Monaco Elite has ivoroid binding and this extends all the way over the headstock as well.

Normans Guitars

Comment

wow...nice guitar dude

so i should go for one who doesn´t have the fretwire covered too?
              Peavey Studio Pro 112

Seagull S12+ acoustic

Comment

Originally posted by VicToR
                wow...nice guitar dude

so i should go for one who doesn´t have the fretwire covered too?
                Down to personal choice - if you do go for one which does not have the fretwire covered you can always get the frets dressed at the right profile at the ends at a later date should you wish to do so. Of course the frets will be sitting on top of the binding so will not be as expensive to do as my Monaco.
                Normans Guitars

Comment

Usually American made guitars have the fret ends covered, Japanese and Korean models have the frets over the binding. I prefer the covered fret ends, just a personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by Norman_T
                    Down to personal choice - if you do go for one which does not have the fretwire covered you can always get the frets dressed at the right profile at the ends at a later date should you wish to do so. Of course the frets will be sitting on top of the binding so will not be as expensive to do as my Monaco.
                    Originally posted by TattooedCarrot
                    Usually American made guitars have the fret ends covered, Japanese and Korean models have the frets over the binding. I prefer the covered fret ends, just a personal preference.
                    mmm, so there are a lot of points that make me think i will go for a bound fretboard without the fretwire covered (not as expensive to re-fret as the other ones, and my Ibanez personal preference over other brands...)

hey, thanks a lot dudes!! see ya
                    Peavey Studio Pro 112

Seagull S12+ acoustic

Comment

But how often do you need a refret? That's not something that we do with any regularity, so personaly I wouldn't make a purchase choice based on a possible refret later down the road.

Comment

well, about 1 year and a half... anyway i´m going to buy a guitar to play with for 5,10,15 or maybe 20 years, if not, i won´t spend that bunch of money on it

and as you said japanese builders like ibanez make the frets over the binding (i have seen on my catalog that the RGT3020 Quilted Maple saphire burst* comes with this kinda bounded fretboard) my preference on ibanez guitars over jackson or esp makes me going for this type of fingerboard, or better said, that makes me going for the entire guitar, that is a badass axe, and, also it comes with bounded Fb

Last edited by VicToR; 09-19-2004, 05:07 PM.
                        Peavey Studio Pro 112

Seagull S12+ acoustic

Comment

Working...
                        X