• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My name is Curly, and I like strats

firemist gold strat

"music heals"
    facebook

Re: My name is Curly, and I like strats

Hi Curly!!! I'm Nate. I like everything. Except telecasters. They're friggin' ugly.

phear teh guitar pissing kitty of DEWM!!!

Comment

nice
      2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

telecasters look sweet in their own classic way, i love your blue tele curly!
        2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

My names Dustin, and if I could afford it, all I would play is strats. I've got 6
          This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Nice addition Curly. I may have to send my "parts o caster" to you for final assembly once I get the body finished and find the right neck.
            My Sound Clips

Comment

Very Nice. Tint that neck, though. I had a shoreline gold 62ri for a while, and that was one pretty looking guitar.
              Originally posted by Jolly
              ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

when i first read that link, i thought it said "feminist" strat, and i was thinking to myself, "oh ****, a strat with mental issues"...but then I re-read it and it said "firemist"...and now I think "wow, that's ****ing awesome!!!"

phear teh guitar pissing kitty of DEWM!!!

Comment

You rock Curly!! Haha, no doubt, you are a strat man.. it's a beauty {)
                  My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Very unusual and NICE. Use it in good health Curly.
                    His Grace is Amazing

Comment

Nice unique color!
                      ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

thanks guys ...
                        it's been a busy couple days ...
                        I was a bit tired putting up that page, so not many notes ...

I put this together yesterday. I saw the body at Warmoth, and it was light, and cheap, already finished, so I jumped
                        the neck was also from the "Showcase". It's a Clapton profile, and it felt so darn nice while I was putting the finish on, that I kinda rushed it a little .
                        For me, the feel of the neck is so important, and this one feels darn near perfect - maybe just a hair big for my small hands, but I agree with those who think a little mass in the neck enhances tone and sustain

and yeah, Grits, I definitely wanted some vintage tint on it, but being the first time I've finished one, I didn't do that yet - I love that slightly "aged" yellow look, though .. really, I'd like to get the look that G & L does on their hand rubbed necks

the idea I had in my head was kind of a "poor man's Clapton" strat ... so I used a vintage trem, and vintage style tuners. I know that some feel the vintage hardware has less mass, and that's part of the tone ... this ax is very "present" and feels good acoustically - always a good sign. The neck joint was so tight, I was concerned about forcing it home.

It's really quite amazing to me that it required almost no setup ... just a couple of turns on the trem claw screws to adjust the height of the bridge off the body. I can hear a little fret noise when I play acoustically, but it's gone when I plug in, and that's about how it should be, for me

I've tried to do a little more with each guitar I've assembled. The tuners seem a little tricky to me, and cutting a nut is a challenge - this time I ordered the neck with the nut, so that saved me some time.

well, I don't want to bore you guys .... I've definitely got the bug, and a couple of other projects lined up. I've gotten so that "off the shelf" axes just don't do it for me - I've put together 3 strats and 1 tele so far, and I like 'em all better than most of the stuff I find in the stores

anyway, I'll try to post some clips when the neighbors are gone ... but this is an ax I'd be proud to let any of you play

Peace
                        "music heals"
                        facebook

Comment

After getting my favorite strat outfitted with the Antiquity Texas Hot Custom bridge and 2 Antiquity Surfers, I've been back in strat mode. Those pickups do the vintage strat tone so fat and beautiful, it's like I got a new guitar. That shade of gold is one of my favorite colors for guitars and trucks. I've been thinking of buying a new pickup or SUV, and want it in that color.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                            I've been thinking of buying a new pickup or SUV, and want it in that color.
                            Are you crazy? If it's a truck, the only color for it is primer grey
                            This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

It's... not... blue?!?
                              Originally posted by kevlar3000
                              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                              Originally posted by Zerberus
                              Better is often the enemy of good
                              Originally posted by ginormous
                              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
                              X