• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Guitar Fetish Tremolo Block

Cool....

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      How about 'demystification' rather than 'debunking'?

Or perhaps merely debunking the idea that there is something magical about terms like "cold rolled steel". People tout the superiority while having no idea what it really means.

But cold rolled carbon steel might do a slightly better job of getting the traditional vintage strat sound than hot rolled carbon steel? I don't know, but in that case both sides of the debate might have valid points.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
        But cold rolled carbon steel might do a slightly better job of getting the traditional vintage strat sound than hot rolled carbon steel? I don't know, but in that case both sides of the debate might have valid points.
        Stands to reason if that's what the vintage ones have, using the same material would put you closer into the ballpark of that tone...

Anyone know what's up with the Fender Eric Johnson model trem blocks? I seem to recall hearing he demanded the exact vintage materials and specs...hmm...Google here I come...

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
          My issue isn't with the idea that the block may improve performance. It's people yelling about the wonders of cold-rolled steel, and having no idea what that means.

"Cold rolled steel is the best!"
          "How is it different, and what makes it better?"
          "I have no idea, but it is!"

or...

"Cold rolled steel is the best!"
          "How is it different, and what makes it better?"
          "It is not heated prior to rolling, and it ends up being denser than hot rolled steel."
          Last edited by JB_From_Hell; 05-30-2009, 03:06 PM.
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

OK, found this review of the EJ Strat..seems its a regular American Vintage block with no finish on the baseplate contact point...

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/...ratocaster.php

"the tremolo system is an American Vintage Synchronized Tremolo with the “ash tray” bridge cover. The tremolo block is painted silver with ’57 style string recesses, and there is no paint between the base plate and the block."

So one imagines the Callaham would be an upgrade?

Comment

Alright, I have read this review and every comment, some are just straight up bull**** with no backing of facts , some are fan boy bull****, and then again others are proven using science but at the same time this doesn't count for everything.

I have used ( in the same guitar ) all three bridges with my friend to test the changes in sound and "feel" because this thread is out of hand.

Here are the Standards for a method of basing.

we used a STANDARD MIM 98 Fender Strat , it has 250k pots and the STANDARD pickups that come with the guitar. using 10 gauge strings from super slinky. ( don't even start we changed them every single time thats three FRESH sets of 10's , and IMO SS sucks ) we also went as far to set up the guitar with EXACT string tension and space from the pu every time ( this can be important )

Test one was the standard - the block in the trem is steal but it has a thin block and the base plate seems cheep... IMO

the next up is the Trem From GF , http://store.guitarfetish.com/minmeimstupt.html

this had a significantly bigger block and notably the strings sat closer to the bottom of the block ( entrance holes ) apparently this increases sustain

this in my opinion was the best bang for the buck... it had a notable increase in tone and seemed like a decent upgrade ( we used the fender saddle just to kep it all the same using as little to change.

the sustain was a little better but not by much but the tone was fuller, better low end, more pronounced. defined.

The third Bridge is this beloved Custom trem

it is heavier right off the bat and the workmanship is evident were the others are not as impressive in this regard but to the point :

it shares the same lowered hole placement as the GF'S.

tone wise it is significantly brighter than GF'S but the notes all come through with brilliance extremely defined and it like the Gf's trem does sustain better.

IMO

it comes down to taste, the two upgrades are both good one being Brighter and Brilliant the other is Full and Defined more low end is present.

the quality is unmatched in the Custom Trem Block you get what you pay for...

IF you have a ****ty thin block and find your tone is thin get the GF's trem as a upgrade it will fix the problem on your squire or 90's MIM , if you are looking to change the sound of your guitar and are into more pricey custom work then by all means go for the Callaham

however newer Fender mim have full blocks just like the GF ones so if you DO have a full block don't bother there made identical.

Callaham is a great up grade for any guitar
              GF is great if you have a ****ty Squire, import, old mim guitar

thats it thats all.

this is from one guitarist to another I don't have a since degree and I'm not some bull**** fan boy.
              Callaham is better than GF , GF is better than ****ty import , and I personally Prefer the GF's tone.

Comment

Ya know...this is not the best way to make a first impression here.

Digging up old threads and using them to stir the pot not to mention all the *****'s...not a great first move.
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Five pages and I'm still none the wiser about trem blocks.
                  I thought I was argumentative, but you guys take the cake! And it's always great when someone posts laughing at someone else's poor spelling, and they can't spell themselves ("suplament"?).

Chill out guys FFS!

http://www.myspace.com/marchofalaric

Comment

My Squier is made of plywood, and it's got a GF trem and block. Plywood. Yeah, that's a bummer.

What can I say? I love how it sounds with the SSL1 in the neck. To me it sounds, vibrates and resonates the way a Strat should. 10-49 strings. I wouldn't hesitate to bring it to a gig or rehearsal.

When I changed the trem, I changed strings too and I didn't make a straight comparison. But it definitely added bass and clarity to the tone. Made it sounds less like a toy guitar and more like a serious instrument.

It sounds fantastic. Wish I had some way to record it.

I can't compare to a Callaham, but I can say it's a huge, huge improvement over the crappy trem and thin zinc block found on Squiers. And being so cheap it's hard to argue against it.
                    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I asked Bill Callaham about the brass vs steel thing....

... any opinions on those solid brass blocks? I get the impression they add sustain but warm up (darken) the guitar. not for me ...just curious.

His reply...

"...Brass cuts sustain and darkens considerably the tone."

I'd like to add that brass, while being an alloy of copper, zinc and often lead, has been used forever in musical instruments such as horns, cymbals and bells for its acoustic properties. That stuff has much sustain so go figure. From Wiki...

The malleability and acoustic properties of brass have made it the metal of choice for brass musical instruments such as the trombone, tuba, trumpet, cornet, euphonium, tenor horn, and the French horn. Even though the saxophone is classified as a woodwind instrument and the harmonica is a free reed aerophone, both are also often made from brass. In organ pipes of the reed family, brass strips (called tongues) are used as the reeds, which beat against the shallot (or beat "through" the shallot in the case of a "free" reed).

Comment

Working...
                      X