string guages....any insight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• string guages....any insight?

right now i play 11-49's in standard 440 tuning or whatever. when i first started playing 11's, i loved it. but after a few months now, i'm just not down with how stiff they feel, unless i tune down a bit (which i don't really want to do).

i guess my question is, would the strings feel a bit more loose if i stepped down to 10's? or would one guage not make a very big difference? i know i'd need a setup done, but i'd just like some insight before i go blowing 40 bucks. thanks guys.
    gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
    '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
    mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
    marshall 1960A 4x12
    and a few pedals

Re: string guages....any insight?

Hey man,

I was using an 11-52 set...I was wanting to do some more bending, and w/o tuning down itr was real stiff...I cahanged the high from an 11 to a 10 and the g from an18 to a 17 and it has made a HUGE difference, try changing just the high e and the g...good luck

The guy who invented fire
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by muttonchopsrule
      before i go blowing 40 bucks
      what's the $40 for?
      ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

Originally posted by texasguitarslinger
        what's the $40 for?
        a decent setup. i really should get all the know-how to be able to do it myself.

and to the one who invented fire...thanks bro, i'll keep that in mind
        gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
        marshall 1960A 4x12
        and a few pedals

Comment

the 52-11 Dean Markley set has a 13 guage b string, which is the same as a ten set. You might have to drop the 11 to 10, the 14 to 13, and the 18 to 17 to match the gauges on a 10 set.
          This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Ernie Ball - Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms, or

GHS Boomers - TNT
            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Jimi had 9s. Is there more to say?

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
                Ernie Ball - Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms, or

GHS Boomers - TNT

This sounds like the answer for you. But it would be worht the time and effort to learn how to do a basic setup on your own. To change from one gauge to another does not require much in setup. Maybe a minor truss rod adjustment, intonation. and action is about all it should require. Check in the vault there has to be some basic posts in there to guide you through this yourself. Good Luck!!!
                "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

You'll end paying a little bit extra but it's well worth it....

I play D'addario EJ20's. They're an ultra-super-ungodly light jazz set with a wound G, guaged 10-49. The b and e are more or less the same as 10's, the g may be a little thicker but it stays in tune very well since it's wound, and the bottom strings have just enough extra meat to give a good chug.

If you like the sound of D'addario (I refuse any other) and want something that's not quite an 11, check the EJ20 set. 10-52 was too much on both ends, 11-49 was a little stiff on the treble side. 10-49 balances perfectly for rhythm and lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken
                    You'll end paying a little bit extra but it's well worth it....

I play D'addario EJ20's. They're an ultra-super-ungodly light jazz set with a wound G, guaged 10-49. The b and e are more or less the same as 10's, the g may be a little thicker but it stays in tune very well since it's wound, and the bottom strings have just enough extra meat to give a good chug.

If you like the sound of D'addario (I refuse any other) and want something that's not quite an 11, check the EJ20 set. 10-52 was too much on both ends, 11-49 was a little stiff on the treble side. 10-49 balances perfectly for rhythm and lead.
                    cool, thanks man. i'm a fan of D'addario myself, i've played on nothing but them for the past couple years. i'll have to check out those 10-49 sets.
                    gear:

marshall 1960A 4x12
                    and a few pedals

Comment

I'm only here to help. Also, D'addario has a 10.5 set. I'm not sure how much difference you'd notice but Musician's Friend carries them.

Comment

I third the notion for a slinky top-heavy bottom setup. I was in the same position you were in no more than two months ago. I was using GHS Boomers 11-53/11-50 at the time. I wanted to get my lead style back while retaining the tight low end. I opted for Ernie Balls. I feel that they compliment my tone and sound much better than what GHS offered.

Since you're a fan of D'addario, you could try out their light top-heavy bottom set. I believe it's the exact same gauges as the Ernie Ball set. (10-13-17-30-42-52)

phear teh guitar pissing kitty of DEWM!!!

Comment

i use ernie balls skinny top heavy bottoms whihc is i belive .10-.52, meaning thohse power chords will be super chumnky but the .10 on the high string will be hopefully thin enough to do some nice solo work. Personally i like it, but i do find .9 to be super fun to play with as soloing becomes ridiclously easy.
                          Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

when i mean easy, im talking bending here.
                            Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Working...
                            X