Tubes for TriampMkII, help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes for TriampMkII, help needed!

Yesterday my power tube blown, and now i have no idea what tubes put instead. Stock tubes are Ruby tubes, but i heard they are ****ty.. I need great jazzy cleans & smooth distortion... Help!

Re: Tubes for TriampMkII, help needed!

If you want to smoothen things out, then try this out: Svetlana Winged C EL34s, JJ ECC83s tubes and a GT12AX7 in the V1 slot.

JJs really smooth things out, but you lose quite a bit of gain (hence why I put the GT Mullard in there, brings back the gain).

You're not trying to get a jazz clean out of 1a, are you? It's a lot brighter, more shimmering than what you can ideally use it for. 1b is a much better option. It's darker and warmer and it takes to hollowbody and semi-hollows much better.

As far as distortion, are you making sure to crank that amp? It just doesn't sound that great at lower volumes (which is why I sold it). At higher volumes, that thing sings and sustains like you wouldn't believe, but by then I've ended up breaking all the windows in my house
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Re: Tubes for TriampMkII, help needed!

I honestly think that amp would sound best with Svetlana or Tesla JJ EL-34's and a complete set of Groove Tube 12AX7C's. Click the link in my signature to get a great price on them from Revolutionguitar.com My amp is laid out similar to yours, and I've tried a lot of tubes. Those GT Chinese 12AX7Cs have great gain and are very tight sounding, so the bottom end won't be murky and the top won't be shrill. You'll be very happy. If you want to save a bit, just change the first 3 pre tubes and all the power tubes.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
      X