banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

marshall Mvol Combo what are orig speakers (silverbacks) Lew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marshall Mvol Combo what are orig speakers (silverbacks) Lew?

I've got a '76 Marshall Mk11 Superlead mastervolume 50 combo (2204 circuit) with speakers with Marshall written on silver grey coloured labels. I wondered if anyone knows whether they are Celestions and which model they are??
    Any guidance would be well appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: marshall Mvol Combo what are orig speakers (silverbacks) Lew?

I have the same combo - although it doesnt say it anywhere on it, i think the model number of the combo is 2104, if you're interested. They are fantastic combos, and so under-rated - everyone seems to be after jcm 800s, not realising that if anything these sound better (they are very similar to the early master volume jcm 800 combos). The only thing is they are damn heavy. The other thing is, due to the fact they are open back, they dont have a huge amount of bass. That suits some types of music well, but you should also try plugging into a 2x12 or 4x12 closed back cab - and if you use the combo speakers AND a closed back cab you get an absolutely massive sound.
    Your speakers are celestions, but i dont know for sure what model. My combo was made in 78, and it also has marshall labels on the speakers, and apparently mine are goldbacks. I think the majority of the 70s combos used greenbacks of some variety. If you dont get a defiinite answer here, try asking on the plexi-palace marshall forum - you should definitely find out there.
    Ernie Ball Axis Sport (SD EVH 78/ Alnico 2 Pro)
    Ernie Ball Silhouette Special
    Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Dimarzio Air Zone/ SD 59)
    Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Bare Knuckles Stormy Monday neck and bridge)
    Fender American Series Telecaster
    Marshall Jubilee 2554 combo
    Marshall JMP Master Volume Combo
    Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20

Comment

Originally posted by zak
      The only thing is they are damn heavy. The other thing is, due to the fact they are open back, they dont have a huge amount of bass. That suits some types of music well, but you should also try plugging into a 2x12 or 4x12 closed back cab - and if you use the combo speakers AND a closed back cab you get an absolutely massive sound.
      Your speakers are celestions, but i dont know for sure what model. My combo was made in 78, and it also has marshall labels on the speakers, and apparently mine are goldbacks. I think the majority of the 70s combos used greenbacks of some variety. If you dont get a defiinite answer here, try asking on the plexi-palace marshall forum - you should definitely find out there.
      Heavy is the word! I've taken the amp out of mine and sat it on top with an insulated baseplate - makes the valves last longer too. I sometimes use those yellow jacket short converters which gives a nice class A crunch and grind without making your ears bleed (easy to swap out when the amp is on top, if a little vulnerable) plus a relayless preamp volume footswitch with a second pot so I can switch twixt drang, crunch 'n blaarg.
      By the way, which model of Celestion are Goldbacks and how do you find out? is it safe to peel the Marshall labels off (and can one stick 'em back on again???)
      ta.

Comment

As far as i know (i may be completely wrong), the goldbacks are basically greenbacks with gold backs, if you get my drift. But from what i've been told, goldbacks are worth more because they only made them for a couple of years.
        I personally wouldnt peel the labels off.
        Ernie Ball Axis Sport (SD EVH 78/ Alnico 2 Pro)
        Ernie Ball Silhouette Special
        Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Dimarzio Air Zone/ SD 59)
        Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Bare Knuckles Stormy Monday neck and bridge)
        Fender American Series Telecaster
        Marshall Jubilee 2554 combo
        Marshall JMP Master Volume Combo
        Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20

Comment

Working...
        X