Are you a bridge or neck pickup guy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you a bridge or neck pickup guy?

I have to say that lately I am realizing that I have always been a 99% of the time bridge pickups guy on all my guitars. I am pretty much always using the bridge pickups of my McCarty and Les Paul, and maybe this is because I was raised on 80's metal with the likes of george Lynch and Eddie V Halen. Not sure.....but I can't get into the neck thing other than for clean in conjunction with the bridge.

Weird?

I also noticed my guitar knobs are 99% of the time on 10! I tend to dial in the amp for anything else I need.

thought I'd throw this out there because I know there are others like this.

Maybe I should stop worrying about finding better electronics and neck pickups for my guitars when I rarely use them.

Maybe if I had a strat things would be different because strat neck pickups sem very liquid and clear. The only time I actually enjoyed soloing on the neck pickup was with my Peavey Wolfgang. Not to mention, the Wolfgang actually had stock caps and pots that worked great! My stock Gibbson pots are junk and the stock tone knob on my McCarty is also junk.

Re: Are you a bridge or neck pickup guy?

I'm a bridge p-up abuser, too. I need the neck p-up for parallel switched cleaner work and a couple of solos, anyway. I always fiddle with the volume pot controlling feedback juice all the time but the tone pot is always set to max treble. I really don't understand why I installed tone pots in my axe. If not else, they will make nice instant replacement for the worn volume pot
    Wackor
    Ørdøg
    NecroPolo
    Diabolus in Musica
    SIDrip Alliance
    Book of Shadows
    RKH

Comment

I hear some guys say the best high gain bridge pickup tones are achieved when rolling back the tone pot a hair....but I notice I lose cut. Even with a very good pot/cap kit installed into my LP....I hardly touched them.

Comment

Some players prefer darker sounds, some others prefer twangy tones. I'm among those who grab the soldering gun and remove the tone pot from the circuit and add a 2micro cap to the vol pot for some extra bite

Yees, here is my point. I love the look them pots - even with no function
        Wackor
        Ørdøg
        NecroPolo
        Diabolus in Musica
        SIDrip Alliance
        Book of Shadows
        RKH

Comment

well, my theory is this.

if you can do all this and that on the bridge pickup then when you do a lead on the neck pup it will be much clearer and cleaner. but most of my guitars have crappy neck pups so once i get better ones, i'll be using them more often. i use the neck for leads, some cleans(i prefer 4th and 2nd positions) and if i have a single coil in the middle then i'll use that sometimes for a cleaner rhythm or clean sound

Comment

I use the neck for leads quite a bit. Mostly slower bluesier leads, but also some trem picking and shredding stuff. If you have a good neck pup it can sound amazing. Just a lot thicker than a bridge pup with less bite.

Comment

Mabye I just need to replace my McCarty neck pickup.

Comment

Whenever I play a humbucker-ed guitar, I play the bridge position 90% of the time. Whenever I'm on a single coil guitar, I spend most of my time on the neck position. A Strat sounds soooo much more awesome on the neck than the bridge IMO.

Comment

i like the sound of the neck bucker (i got a '59)
                  i play 80% of my leads on the neck pup, sounds sweeter and fuller than the JB, plus it's smoooth as butter =)

Comment

Mabye I just need better neck humbuckers. I agree that single coil necks are great!

Comment

well.. then get a HSS guitar >.<

or a lynch signature

Comment

I'm a Bridge guy.

If you look at all of my guitars the SD pickups are installed are in the bridge.

I like manipulating the tone and volume controls with the bridge pickup to get it to sound less like a bridge pickup. I think it's a little annoying messing with the knobs, since most of the time I just want to play, but I hate flicking the toggle switch to the neck even more...mainly because I have to flick it back to the bridge position! I'm so lazy!

Comment

I just love the attack sound from the neck pickup in lead work, but I can't stand playing rhythm on anything but the bridge.
                          I get to go to a lot of overseas places, like Canada.
                          -Britney Spears

Comment

I'm definitely a "neck" kinda guy. The bridge is only there to augment the neck, and volume and tone controls are just there to fill holes in the pickguard.

Comment

Neck!!! And I use the knobs all the time. So much versatility with just a volume and tone. I use an APHII in the neck.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X