Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a locking tremolo

Hi,
    I recently bought an ESP strat (M-200FM) with a locking trem. Now, I've never used a guitar with a locking trem, so I'm a little in the black as to whether or not I'll have to adjust the spring tension on this guitar, as I anticipate changing the string gauge to something lighter (I use .09-.42, and this guitar came with .09-.46 gauge strings). So, my question is: do I have to adjust the spring tension or not? If so, how do I do this?

Bob

Re: Help with a locking tremolo

You'll probably have to adjust the spring tension, and maybe possibly the neck truss-rod. In general, at the back of the guitar is a compartment with a cover. Inside should be the tensioning springs. You should simply have to adjust the wood screws at the front (neck) end of the compartment by either tightening or loosening the screws until the bridge is straight and level. You will also need to be tuning and retuning during this whole operation. It's like a balance-beam. Loosen the screws to relieve tension on the spring and tilt the bridge forward (toward neck). Tighten to go the other way.

It'll take awhile to get it dialed in, but that's about it I think.

Anyone, feel free to chime in.

-Matt
    Originally posted by Scott_F
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Working...
    X