Rosewood BODIES?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosewood BODIES?

I've been looking at different wood types and their tonal properties out of boredom recently. After skimming over Warmoth's site I discovered Rosewood bodies and necks. Apparently George Harrison had an all-Rosewood tele some time ago. Hey, if it's good enough for him, why haven't more people tried it?

After doing some more reading it appears that Rosewood makes an excellent body OR top wood ...... what kind of tonal properties would an all-rosewood body have? I wonder what kind of wood would match up well with Rosewood as a top.

Anyone try it?

Re: Rosewood BODIES?

Originally posted by The Don
    Hey, if it's good enough for him, why haven't more people tried it?
    Because of the weight issue.

Comment

its kinda heavy but the stuff ive played that was all rosewood has been very resonant and has had full mids

Comment

its very heavey, as had been said allready.

also, unless im mistaken, it must cost a fortune.
        esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
        fender mim standard strat
        peavey classic 30
        johnson j-station
        original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
        dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
        yamaha f-310p acoustic
        taylor 410 acoustic
        "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

From my personal experiences, guitars that weigh a lot seem to have a thicker, "bigger" sound than guitars that don't ... how would a rosewood guitar compare in tone to that of a mahogany/maple Les Paul? And on the other end, how would it compare to an Alder or Ash bodied Strat?

Comment

Gibson, made a limited number (100 I think) of rosewood topped Les Paul Custom's in the mid seventy's. They had mahogany backs. They're a great looking guitar, and they're on my must own list. If rosewood is heavy, and it's on a 70's Les Paul, that should make for a 15 pound Les Paul.

Sprinter
            Last edited by Sprinter; 09-29-2004, 08:39 PM.
            Collings: '08 001-mhsb
            Dean: '02 Hardtail
            Fender: '63 Jazzmaster, '74 Telecaster & '11 American Special Telecaster
            Fender Custom Shop: '16 1962 Custom Telecaster
            Gibson: '78 Les Paul Deluxe & '99 Les Paul Standard
            G&L: '87 Asat, '02 Asat Classic
            Guild: '81 X-79 Skyhawk
            Heritage: '09 H535 25th Anniversary
            PRS: '97 Standard 24 & '99 McCarty

Comment

generally heavier (like real heavy- rosewood) will dampen vibrations...its not just the wood, it is the oil inside too. it looks good, thats why people used it. lighter woods (or woods with a good combo of air and wood) resonate better, and will sound more complex.
              also, really nice figured rosewood is endangered, and pieces big enough for bodies are really hard to find. i don't think it is worth wiping out a species just to have a nice looking guitar.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

darkshadow turned me on to a guy who is offering solid brazilian rosewood bass and strat guitar bodies. The price is pretty reasonable, and DS and I were talking about working something out on the deal. I got sidetracked and had some issues with my old paypal account, and haven't had time to get back to thinking about it, but now this has my interest peaked again.

DS, I'll give you a shout here this weekend and we'll see what we can work out if the stuff is still available.
                My Sound Clips

Comment

I played a rosewood tele (it's a different company, but same body shape as fender). That thing weighed around 20lbs!! No I'm not kidding! It was the heavies guitar I have ever played. It didn't sound really great either. save your money, and just get a rosewood neck.
                  Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

I agree...don't buy endangered woods, either.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                    X