• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gibson Firebird vs J.Hendrix Voodoocaster

didn't jimi use an all maple neck? Either way i say fire bird
    Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

I never really took to a Firebird (and I really love the way it looks, so I wanted to). You have to ask yourself "tonally, what am I looking for"? Both are very different beasts. Thick, warm and mellow is what comes to mind when I think of the Firebird, sparkling, thin and articulate is what comes to mind when I think of a strat.
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I'd stay away from Fender's "hey buy this weird guitar, because we put someone's name on it" marketing ploy. Hearing anybody try to play hendrix through a "voodoocaster" I'm sure wil not at all sound different from someone who try's to play hendrix through and decent strat. I don't think the voodoocaster is going to gain any value at all. It's silly IMHO. I think that firebird has class. I'm sure if you asked hendrix he wouldn't want some sill backwards celebrity knock-off! He'd go for the firebird too!
        Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

Well, I dig the firebird. But I don't really know what I'm looking for. Right now I'm playing a firebird but I'm really very open to other sounds. That's why I concidered the Voodoocaster.
          || The Livin' Kitchen: www.livinkitchen.tk
          || The Hellacopters: www.hellacopters.tk

Comment

Originally posted by johan1985
            Well, I dig the firebird. But I don't really know what I'm looking for. Right now I'm playing a firebird but I'm really very open to other sounds. That's why I concidered the Voodoocaster.
            You might want to look into something w/t a full size Humbucker. DON'T
            TRADE that Bird!! you'll regret it. The Firebird was Gibson's Idea of
            makeing a Stratocaster.(that's why all the reverse ,non reverse bird's
            from the 60's) ledgend has it that when CBS bought fender they where
            going to sue Gibson? I own a Firebird and I've always thought of it as
            sounding more like a Strat. it doesn't have the Chime a good Strat has
            but with some OD it sounds like a pissed off Strat. Just listen
            to Johnny winter's 70's tone. Or Allen Collens Freebird Solo.
            http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Yeah, I did play a Epiphone Les Paul Heritage model before and it was nice but I had to sell it to afford the firebird. I guess your right about keeping the firebird. But you know how G.A.S is Anyway, I think it's probably a good idea to have patience and wait until I can buy another guitar without selling the firebird. Just need to get myself a job and then I'm on my way

btw. I love early Johnny Winter. And later Winter to for that matter but I think he was at his best up to the "Saints and Sinners" album which is kind of a personal favorite of mine. And I didn't actually know about Allen Collens Firebird up until a couple of days ago. I always associated him with the explorer but that he played a firebird was a pleasent suprice!
              || The Livin' Kitchen: www.livinkitchen.tk
              || The Hellacopters: www.hellacopters.tk

Comment

Working...
              X