Vintage Mahogany LP ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Mahogany LP ?

How is that Vintage Mahogany LP that Musician's Friend has for $799? Has like the Faded finish and the body is all mahogany. How would it sound with no maple cap?? Has the burstbucker pups.. Good price for a LP..
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Vintage Mahogany LP ?

I was all excited about it, because one of my housemates at school was gonna buy one, but he ended up just throwing in a few extra hundred bucks and getting an SG standard instead. I was really excited about getting to see how it sounded, and just to have another LP in the house. But...I've had a longstanding love affair with SG's, so there is absolutely no complaint with his decision here!
    I'm with you though, I wanna know how the all-mahogany body sounds with the BBPro's.

Comment

been interesting in seeing how tehy sound as well....
      esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
      fender mim standard strat
      peavey classic 30
      johnson j-station
      original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
      dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
      yamaha f-310p acoustic
      taylor 410 acoustic
      "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

They're like the poor mans Les Paul Custom really cause the original Les Paul Custom's in the 50s were all mahogany..
        || The Livin' Kitchen: www.livinkitchen.tk
        || The Hellacopters: www.hellacopters.tk

Comment

Im guessing they are similar to normal LP tones, just a bit darker. My Explorer is a huge mahogany plank..
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I'm sure it would sound a bit darker and smoother than a maple caped one. An all mahogany guitar like that would have very musical midrange as well, I see it as having that les paul feel with a smooth sweet sound. It won't sound just like a regular one but I bet it would be in a category all its own. I saw a video of Page playing that 50's les paul custom that got stolen from him and the tone compared to his standard was a bit darker and smoother, but very very good, very musical sounding

Comment

The C-5 sounds great in all mahogany LP's, since those guitars have a naturally midrangey tone, and buttery smooth highs. The C-5 lets those mids come through, and adds high end sparkle to the mahogany sound. I like the Custom 5 in maple capped LP standards, but that pickup sounds killer in my all mahogany 57 Reissue Les Paul Custom. I know you didn't ask about pickups, but it's the first thing that came to mind. Personally, I'd get a Studio or well used Standard for that price before I'd lay out $800+ on a faded ANYTHING. Those guitars aren't very highly regarded, but still decent guitars.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Good point Gear Joneser. Rather have a studio, but so many used ones round here are so abused. So I kinda like buying new. But would not buy one of the Faded lps with the flat top..
                Also, appreciate to Pup tip.. If you recall from my posts, I too am a serious C5 fan. Although I did mod to a C4 for my explorer. Fine tuned to perfection!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Yeah, the C-4! For some time, I've wanted to have every Duncan Custom, and will soon have it. I may not have all of them in guitars, but after Wasteof 02 sends me my Alnico III magnet, I'm gonna have a
                  Custom
                  Custom Custom A-2
                  C-3
                  C-4
                  and a bunch of C-5's

Also, the JB, Seth, and 59.

All those Customs are in nickelcovered, so I'm going to be able to dial any guitars in to perfection, with all those options. If I get real motivated, I may spend a day swapping all of them in a Les Paul Std. flametop, and record clips. I'm curious, myself, to hear all of them on tape.
                  Last edited by Gearjoneser; 10-02-2004, 02:56 AM.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                    If I get real motivated, I may spend a day swapping all of them in a Les Paul Std. flametop, and record clips.

please please please please please?

Comment

I second the begging.. Be cool to taylor each guitar individually.. Like I said, the C5 is "my" pickup of choice and works in 3 of my axes and did in the Explorer too, but was just a shade off. The C4 was like a custom fit. Works so good and has the same character as the C5.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                      X