Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker questions: What do you think?

Hey dudes,

As a sequel to my previous threads about which amp I should choose, well let me just tell you I'm going to own all my favorites now . I got a Mesa Boogie Dual Caliber DC-5 combo in a trade today (loud!), I thought I was moving a baby elephant, man that amp is heavy! It sounds amazing though. I also got the Marshall JCM800 2210 which is likely to arrive tomorrow. Not to worry Rivera voters, I'm selling the Boogie on monday and am going to use the money to pay for the Knucklehead 100. I really regret doing this, but that's life: Decisions, decisions, decisions. Hope the Rivera makes up for this in sound, the Boogie sounds amazing though!

Now I'm only keeping the Rivera, unless it will be disappointing, the rest is going off for sale again. So now I need a cab for it. I was thinking a 2x12 loaded with V30's (ENGL, Mesa, Diezel perhaps, Brunetti, you name it) or a 4x12 with Greenback speakers (Marshall 1960AX or Framus Cobra cabinet). I don't live in the USA so Avatar isn't an option, too bad

Two conditions:
    1) Is the 4x12 louder than the 2x12, meaning which of the cabs will my neighbours hear easier? Greenback 4x12=100W, V30 2x12=120W
    2) I need a fat high-gain sound for riffs, excellent response to my playing, no shrill or super-thin highs, I sometimes play shred, great harmonics, MOST IMPORTANTLY: must not mud up! I hate it when that happens

Thanks again
    Last edited by Neeradj; 10-01-2004, 05:19 PM.
    Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
    Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
    Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
    Marshall 2x12 Vintage
    Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Re: Speaker questions: What do you think?

1: Yes

2: G12 80s would work well for you. Very articulate, never muddy.

Comment

Yes, the greenback cab is louder right? I wasn't sure because the speakers are lower wattage but produce more power because they work together

G12 80 huh? I think a saw a Marshall loaded with those somewhere, maybe I'll contact the seller about it

Thanks Pandemonium
      Anybody else wanna comment?
      Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

Bumperoo!

Help please

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

actually the v30s are louder, they are more sensitive than the greenbacks so they will produce more volume.

Comment

How about tone, do they fit the bill better than the greenbacks? I heard greenbacks sometimes mud up under high-gain situations, is that entirely true?

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

Oh come on, please don't tell me I have to rephrase this topic

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

I've never been a fan of Celestion speakers. They just seem to break up too much, too fast for my taste. You might consider Emminence Speakers (I don't know if those are specifically available in Holland, but Carvin sells the same thing, just under a different name).
                As for the volume issue, a 412 cab will move more air than a 212, hence it will be louder, given the same power input.
                www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Yeah Eminence speakers are available here, I just have to do some background search on which available cabs have them. We're in the same league gearwise as the USA, we just pay either double the amount you guys pay or pay the newprice you pay, for second hand gear. Celestions are easier to get, I only like the greenbacks and V30's though, others are just too bright and usually not my thing. V30's have are amazing under high gain, but greenbacks are better clean. So which one is better at the other's ground, guess that's the 10000 dollar question

I'm probably going to run a 100W head on 50W by pulling two tubes out, seems the're some mixed opinions about this problem huh?

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

doesnt that ruin the head?
                    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

I've never endorsed doing that myself. From what I've been able to tell, it works on some amps and doesn't work on others. Given a choice, I'll always take 100 watts over 50 anyway, just because of the headroom.
                      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

G12 80s will not add their own distortion nor will they color your sound like Greenbacks or Vintage 30s. I've been using them for 25 years and know a bit of what I speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092
                          doesnt that ruin the head?
                          No not really, it is a fact your amp will break up sooner though. I just don't want neighbours complaining. I recently heard something about 100W not being a necessary louder difference, but I don't know if I should take that chance. I want those tubes to work hard and produce good sound at lower volumes.

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

more speakers = more bass response

but more speakers do not necessarily mean more volume

your head has a lot to do with it, yanno
                            Originally posted by gibson175
                            metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

I know the determines the volume, but speakers have a defenite effect on the power of the volume, the amount is less on the greenbacks you see, but they have more power when working together

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                              X