Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swamp ash body?

How does swamp ash guitars sound?
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Swamp ash body?

Swamp ash is generally brighter and "poppier" than say Alder, which has more midrange and is smoother and darker. Ash is generally associated with Tele tone, and Alder with Strat tone....but that is a very broad generalization.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

I remember not too long ago someone posted a comparison between alder and swamp ash with identical strat pickups and amp settings. I preferred the swamp ash myself. It definitely has more punch than alder, but it may be too bright with some combinations, so that has to be taken into consideration. Although many people associate punch with a tele, punch just sounds so great with a strat.
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Gibson has a les paul which is an ash body with a mahogany neck. I think it sounds better than any of the les pauls I've played by them... much more open and natural sounding, les muted and muddy.

Comment

i got a swamp ash strat with 1-pc maple neck. very articulate and resonant. sweet with lots of pop, snap and crackle! i prefer it over alder. if i want a darker sound, i will go for mahogany. be careful though, due to its articulation, you have to adjust your playing style to suit it. since every minute mistake can be heard, its not suitable for sloppy players. also, pickups choice is vital too. with my kinman classic set which i have since sold, i find the high strings a tad brittle. maybe its the gauge i'm using, but i believe a2 magnets will smoothen the highs out without losing the acoustic properties of swamp ash. overall a beautiful wood both in tone and looks for transparent finish. either you will like it or you don't.
          the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
            I remember not too long ago someone posted a comparison between alder and swamp ash with identical strat pickups and amp settings. I preferred the swamp ash myself. It definitely has more punch than alder, but it may be too bright with some combinations, so that has to be taken into consideration. Although many people associate punch with a tele, punch just sounds so great with a strat.
            i believe that will be the good doc barlo. try searching in the tips and clips section.
            the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Comment

Working...
            X