Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Lite Ash Strats

Hey All,

Was playing one these guitars the other day and I was very impressed with it. Believe the one I was playing was around $500.00 at GC. Had nice tone and Duncan pickups that were standard on it.

But I guess these are made in Korea and not Mexico like most lower end Fenders.....Would love to hear any opinions, because I thought about buying it but wanted to do a little more research on it before I plunk down 500 big ones.
    Gear: 2002 Fender Amer. Strat W/TX Specials
    1999 Fender MIM Strat...
    2004 Music Man Sub 1

'94 Fender Deluxe Reverb.
    Line 6 Spider II 1x12
    Boss ME-50
    Boss DD-5

Re: Fender Lite Ash Strats

hi new member here...i bought an ash strat back in 99 usa amer.standard what impressed me about it was that it was so light like my origional '57...i installed fat 50's in it and it sounds great the color is white blonde it's almost like a see through white...

Comment

I have also been impressed with the Lite Strat. I would not be concerned about the quality of the Korean model vs the Mexican. I think if you spend enough time picking out the one that feels best to you, and has a good fit and finish, you will end up with an excellent guitar.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

I was impressed by almost everything on this series, except the finish. Due to it being on a natural piece of wood, the poly seemed to be rather thick. Disgustingly thick to me. For that kind of money I think I'd go with a Hwy 1 and the ultra thin laquer (not nitro, but nice nonetheless). But that's just me. I did think the birdeye maple and the abalone dots were beautiful on a few of the Lite Ash's I've seen.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

i dont like the finish either, too plastic. nice sounding guitar, but not 'lite' by any means. I have played both alder and ash strats that were lighter. i was expecting 6.5 pounds, but the one i tried was more like 8.5. fwiw, my ernie ball is 6.5 pounds.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i think the asking price is a little too much. same goes for the korean blackout tele as well. i don't mind the country of origin, it's just the price...
            Psychic Horns

Comment

I was wondering if I was the only one that noticed the name "Lite" did not apply. The ones I picked up were heavy as any other strat, maybe heavier.

I'm still a sucker for that Hwy 1 finish, especially the burst.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

which duncans are on it? SSL-1's SSL-5's?
                2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

APS-1's. I'm so glad that Fender came out with the sunburst on the HWY 1 strat. I'm torn between the new Colt Govn. Reissue 1911, the Armsco Bobwhite .410, or a HWY1 strat in sunburst. There's a huge price difference, but right now, I want them all just as bad.
                  This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

There's so many American Standards and Am Series strats on the used market for $500, that I couldn't imagine buying an imported Fender. It's nice that they come with Duncans, but 'fancychords' did much better by buying a natural ash Am Std and adding Fat 50's. He did much better for probably the same price.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
                      I was wondering if I was the only one that noticed the name "Lite" did not apply. The ones I picked up were heavy as any other strat, maybe heavier. .
                      Look 2 posts above.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

thank you gearjoneser..i bought it when they were going fo 750-to 800 i walked into my local music store and the guy said i got something you may like,and i did...very light compared to the regular alder bodies,it played and sounded really good...i tried the fat 50's on a whim i had heard and tried texas specials and i didn't care for them but i wanted something with a little meat and also hum cancelling in 2 and 4...i still have seymour duncan vintage staggared strat pick ups in my drawer for about 24 years i had tried them in a re-issue strat in 1983,i sold the strat and kept the pickups...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
                          I was wondering if I was the only one that noticed the name "Lite" did not apply. The ones I picked up were heavy as any other strat, maybe heavier.
                          Musician's Friend advertises them as "under 8 lbs.!"

Comment

i never tried one of the lite ash strats, but i did try the tele. loved that birdeye maple neck. but the pickups weren't that great, IMHO, even though they were SD's. seem a little sterile sounding to me, but it could have just been the amp i was using (SS fender princeton(?) i think), probably woulda been better through a good marshall or bassman.
                            Fender John Mayer Strat
                            Gibson SG Special w/ JB bridge
                            PRS Soapbar II SE
                            Bad Cat Cub IIR 1x12
                            Budda Twinmaster and matching 2x12 cab

Taylor 614CE

Comment

Originally posted by MrHat
                              i never tried one of the lite ash strats, but i did try the tele. loved that birdeye maple neck. but the pickups weren't that great, IMHO, even though they were SD's. seem a little sterile sounding to me, but it could have just been the amp i was using (SS fender princeton(?) i think), probably woulda been better through a good marshall or bassman.
                              I believe Evan Skopp has on of these Teles. He was the one who spec'd the APS's, yet he still swaps them out for something he likes better (Hots?).

Comment

Working...
                              X