Old Charvel question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Charvel question...

I just love the pawn (ripoff) shops here in town.. Found an old charvel (guitar shaped logo, pointy stock) Im guessing 84-88 model. (Has the New Jersey neck plate) It has 2 buckers and a Floyd knock off. (no arm). could use a fret job, pups appear stock, and the body has no functional issues, but tons of scratches. (its black) Pristine, it aint. They want...... get aload of this.... $459 for it.. The neck is ultra comfy.
    Im thinking put an orig Floyd on it, some Duncans and a refret and Im in shred heaven.. Im thinking may $100 would be fair. What cha think??
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Old Charvel question...

I only ever get pawnshop guitars when I think ill be able to get more on ebay for it... even if i was gonna keep it

Comment

Yeah, its funny - sometimes pawn shops will have good deals, then other times they have stuff over list. There's one over on Blanding, where I occassionaly snag some CD deals, that has the Epiphone LP Junior Special, that MF sells for 89.99, for 99.99 - used.

I told them about it, they acted surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandor
        I only ever get pawnshop guitars when I think ill be able to get more on ebay for it... even if i was gonna keep it

Ditto, if you're not hayppy, buying someone's attorney , of a free financed foru this truck, then you haven't lived anything resemgling today's Cashi, but Evans and in good as a team. and flea revpengs on that. i don't see te preper one. I'm getting drung!
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Ya, all the pawn shops around here are way to high priced also.
          Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
          Roland Cube 60
          Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
          BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
          LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
          Mogami Cables
          Mooer Candy Toppers
          Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
          Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
            Ditto, if you're not hayppy, buying someone's attorney , of a free financed foru this truck, then you haven't lived anything resemgling today's Cashi, but Evans and in good as a team. and flea revpengs on that. i don't see te preper one. I'm getting drung!

did anyone understand what he ment?

Comment

NEW JERSEY Neckplate??? This does not compute.

FInd out what the plate really says, then I can tell you more
              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Thanks Gearjoneser for that wealth of information.. WTF?? hahaha Sounds like you were having a bit o fun.

Haha. Zerb.. I cant believe my mind didnt process that before I posted it.. Its a friggin Kramer neckplate.. Scratch the neckplate then. any tips on the guitar? I KNOW its a Charvel.. hee hee.. Got the slightly different body cut. I had a 88 Charvel. Was the first one in this town that had an upside down headstock. Man, that was a great axe.. That was like $650 new. I know this used one isnt worth 450.
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

That makes this guitar: A Parts mutt. Not necessarily bad, I´ve seen mutts that make "truebreds" look lame, not just with guitars. But, like dogs, it significantly lowers the value

200 bucks in mint condition, 250 with case. Absolute tops unless someof the parts are Charvel San Dimas era, then maybe a bit more

From the floyd knock-off I´d guess late 80´s with parts from a few places, but with exact details (is the floyd recessed, up-only, or floating above the body. What does the electronics cover look like, what exactly is on the headstock.....) I could at least identify the Jackson parts
                  Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Zerb, The headstock is downward pointy. Charvel guitar shape logo on the headstock. The body is primarily strat shape but has the slightly different cut that the old charvels have. No pickguard. Im sure its a charvel body. Dual buckers, two controls with the 5 way almost between them.
                    The Floyd is either Jackson or Charvel branded. I dont recall but I looked at it. Its not quite as big as a normal Floyd. No bar so I couldnt give it a dive and a pull. (Plus, I was real pressed for time) The odd thing was the pickups. there were pickup rings and there were little "walls" raised up around the sides of the pups. Im guessing they were those old charvel pups with the black covers and maybe someone trimmed the top off so they look normal now. Tuners were sealed and Jackson branded. Exact same as my 80's Charvel..
                    The neck felt nice. If I were to get them to give it up really cheap, Id swap pups, put an original floyd on it. (Im not sure the back is routed out as far back as would need to be..)
                    My concern would be the refret. thats some cost there. Overall,not bad, but 2 or 3 were pretty tired.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                    X