Advantages of chambered bodies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantages of chambered bodies?

All I hear is people raving about how sweet chambered bodies are. Now I feel like I need one too Inform me!
    Watch My Videos
    Photography
    www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
    "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Re: Advantages of chambered bodies?

The Chambered designs will give you more wood to the sound, more air to the highs, and more complex lows.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Ironic eh?

Less wood = More woody sound

Is a chambered body where it is hollowed without F holes?

If so what advantages does it have?
      My clips

Originally posted by Rid
      How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

its lighter! that alone is worth it. the sound is more complex- try one, and you'll see (the brian moore to the left is a chambered body).
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

An example of a chambered body is a Guild Bluesbird AAA which looks like a lespaul, but has chambers in the mahogany part of the guitar, an ultimate blues guitar.
          PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
          1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
          Blackstar HT-5
          2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
          Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

I've played some very nice chambered instruments, but I thought I'd post up a disadvantage that I've noticed: some chambered instruments don't exactly cut through a mix as well as their non-chambered counterparts.

They tend to allow a lot of harmonic overtones to bloom, and cloud the fundamental tone. This is great when you have a lot of space in the mix that you need to fill (and fantastic when you play by yourself), but not so hot when you're fighting to be heard in a dense mix or less than perfect stage setup.

To me, some chambered guitars sound like they have reverb permanently on. Great for a while, but there's nothing you can do if you need to turn the reverb off...
            Originally posted by Jolly
            ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Oooh, sounds very appealing. I think I will go for it when I get $$$. The reason I ask is because I read somewhere that Paul Gilbert likes chambered bodies the best because of the woody tone. I dig that too, and love Paul Gilbert's tone, so I gotta get some of that! As for not cutting through, not something a little presence or treble can't fix, right?
              Watch My Videos
              Photography

Comment

Q: are hollow bodies awesome?
                A: yes

Q: should i get one?
                A: no

Q: why?
                A: so i can make fun of you when i get one and you'll hear my awesome tone!!!!

Comment

Hahaha, moom
                  Watch My Videos
                  Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Biu
                    As for not cutting through, not something a little presence or treble can't fix, right?
                    It's kind of different than that. Ever been to a gig where a guitarist has washed away their sound through too much reverb or delay? -it's more like that.

But these things are subjective. One person's 'undefined' in another person's 'rich and full'.

I suggest you spend an afternoon in a store trying chambered instruments out. Give them a good go, and see if they are pleasing to your ears after a decent amount of playing. Also compare them to solid guitars. That'll give you some idea of whether they're for you.
                    Originally posted by Jolly
                    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits
                      I've played some very nice chambered instruments, but I thought I'd post up a disadvantage that I've noticed: some chambered instruments don't exactly cut through a mix as well as their non-chambered counterparts.

They tend to allow a lot of harmonic overtones to bloom, and cloud the fundamental tone. This is great when you have a lot of space in the mix that you need to fill (and fantastic when you play by yourself), but not so hot when you're fighting to be heard in a dense mix or less than perfect stage setup.

To me, some chambered guitars sound like they have reverb permanently on. Great for a while, but there's nothing you can do if you need to turn the reverb off...
                      Honestly Ive never heard that with my guitar. Maybe it is the brand. Who knows. For me, the weight was worth it- the tone is an added bonus.
                      I have played chambered LPs as well as F-hole LPs, and they always sound better than the boring ol boat anchor LPs.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                      X