Distortion or Overdrive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion or Overdrive?

You`ll have to excuse my knowledge but what`s the difference of a Overdrive tone or Distortion tone? On the early Van Halen albums is Ed getting Overdrive or Distortion. I`m just a little confused , I know Zakk Wylde uses an OD pedal and Randy Rhoads used a Dist. pedal yet both of their tones are pretty damn heavy!
    When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Re: Distortion or Overdrive?

overdrive is like a gain booster. It most often retains the character of your guitar/amp and uses it to produce more gain. distortion creates its own gain character or color to build on.
    personally, i like distortion at room volumes because i dont need to crank my amp to get smooth power tube distortion to work with my overdrive.
    the best tone i can get is with my TS9 overdrive pushing my peavey classic at master volume-10 channel volume-4, passive eq knobs all at full. the overdrive pushes into the power tube distortion and sounds many times better than a distortion pedal at low volume.
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

think of it this way

tubescreamers - overdrive

marshalls & mesas - distortion
      Originally posted by gibson175
      metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Overdrive is the sound of your tube amp breaking up after its clean channel is pushed.
        Distortion is a more compressed sound with more gain, and often more shhhh to the tone. But can sound good at low volumes (especially if you have a pedal to do it), to get a real nice sounding overdrive you really need to have your tubes cranking and the volume up. But if you prefer using overdrive at lower volumes u either need a good overdrive pedal which emulates the sound for you or a good lead channel on your amp which can also give a good overdrive.
        PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
        1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
        Blackstar HT-5
        2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
        Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Comment

Working...
        X