banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From BluDave...Re: TS9 And Crybaby Mods(Part 1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From BluDave...Re: TS9 And Crybaby Mods(Part 1)

Dave..I was so excited to read what you wrote and how thorough it was that I was just too compelled to post it to everyone else...I'm so happy that the mods worked and you are enjoying your pedals...So if it's ok with you Dave,here's your e mail to me for others to see..

[B]"Hey John,
    I have been a little tied up and I have not had a lot of time to do some thorugh evaluations yet. But Saturday afternoon a good friend of mine called and asked if I would help him dial in a new sound. He bought a new guitar and amp. So I thought it would be a perfect time to test these. Here is what we did.
    The guitar was a Eric Clapton Strat with Kinman PUPS, and a 2nd guitar called a Demarino which was custom made with EMG. PUPS 2 single coils, and a HB in bridge. I also brought my EC strat which is completley stock, and has lace sensors.
    The AMP was a Fender SUPER REVERB RI.
    First we dialed in good overall clean sound, and my Buddy Dave played clean for a good 45 minutes, just getting used to the guitar and the Amp. A great overall clean sound. His board had a DD3 a BOSS EQ a newer Tubescreamer the green & black one. I brought my Clyde McCoy wah, and the Crybaby that you modded. I also brought a TS9 RI, and the TS9 you modded, and a Boss Super OD. I connected the 2 Ts9's right next to each other, and while he was playing I was turning them on and off. The modded TS9 was by far more throaty, and had a considerably better overall tone with a lot more bottom. To be fair I left each pedal on, and allowed Dave to play the same 4 or 5 minute phrases to give an accurate comparison. The modded TS9 sounded more clear, with much better note definition. I needed to roll down the gain by comparison to the unmodded TS9 . The overall tone was stronger in the bottom end. Exceptional pedal.. We both Loved it!! much better than the other TS9, and his tubescreamer just wasn't even close. The Super OD sounded good, but again the TS9 you modded just sounded more natural.... like the Amp turned up loud.... excactly what I wanted. As you know I play through a Fender SR also, a SF and I think my Amp will make this sound even better.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Re: From BluDave...Re: TS9 And Crybaby Mods(Part 1)

Part 2....
    "My Buddy Dave is not a Wah Wah guy. He had never use one before. So I explained the basic difference between the two and started working with the Crybaby you modded. In a clean setting with nothing but the Amp it shimmered with its ability to move from bright to a very mellow bass tone. Wow I really loved how the range went from one end to the other. Once we kicked in the OD pedals it took on a very different character. The modded TS9 pulled a little of the treble out of the Wahs range, and in the middle position it was truly a wongderful tone. Most of the comparisons were done with the EC strat, and in the Bridge PUP and the 4th postion. Again I was very pleased at what I was hearing. My opinion on Wah pedals is they tend to work best with little or no gain. This pedal worked very well with the modded TS9 set at about 75% on all three settings. I then rolled them all back some, and as the gain came down the range actually got better. Very impressive. We then quickly hooked up the Clyde McCoy, and quickly noticed that it did not have the range that the crybaby did, and once the OD was kicked in it even sucked up more of the range. So I would say the crybaby smoked my Clyde McCoy!!. I must say that this comparison was really easy while someone else was playing. It allowed me to sit back and really listen to the differences., and make some adjustments. Thanks to my Buddy Dave I was able to tweak some amazing tones out of these two pedals. I also have to say that the Stock tube screamer did not suck!! or the Super OD did not suck either. *( Daves tube screamer did). Bottom line: The modded TS9 was overall a hotter pedal, yet at the same time the note deinition was much better, and it had more bottom. The Crybaby just flat out out performed my Clyde McCoy. I have used both the TS9 & Clyde McCoy for over 5 years and have always been pretty happy with the way they sounded. Now I am going to shelve them. These two pedals that you modded went right on my board as soon as I got home, and I don't think they will be going anywhwere in the near future.
    Just as a side note with the HB PUP in the Demarino the TS9 was incredible.. I can't wait to play it with a Les Paul and mu 335!!!! MY EC strat sounded better than Daves did IMO. The Lace sensors were a little brighter in some respects, in the Neck position it flat out sounded better than the Kinmans. I will be doing some playing this week, and I plan on playing with my 335, my LP, and my Teles!!. At this point all I am really trying to do is find the settings that are going to work for me. These pedals are on my board to stay!!

Thanks again for the wonderful work. I look forward to working with you in the future!! Dave Scadin"
    [/B]
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Thanks to Bludave for this excellent post about his setup and the reviews about his TS9 and Crybaby wah....

John

Comment

Couldn't be happier with the mods. John does great work.
        For those of you who are considering sending anything to him the entire experience was painless. I sent him both the pedals, a few days later he contacted me and explained in great detail what needed to be done. He even Email me pictures of the boards after he was done modding them. Of course I had no idea what the hell I was looking at! I do know good tone and sound, and these pedals are both great!!
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave
          Couldn't be happier with the mods. John does great work.
          For those of you who are considering sending anything to him the entire experience was painless. I sent him both the pedals, a few days later he contacted me and explained in great detail what needed to be done. He even Email me pictures of the boards after he was done modding them. Of course I had no idea what the hell I was looking at! I do know good tone and sound, and these pedals are both great!!
          Thanks Dave....It was a pleasure to deal with you also buddy...I have your card and when we get back to Long Island we "will" hook up for a beer or 2...I promise!

Glad the pedals are working out great for you also...Enjoy..

John

Comment

Working...
          X