i got my hrd 2x12....now tubes..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i got my hrd 2x12....now tubes..

got my 2x12 today for 460. its barely a year old and no mods were done on it.

i love the sound.. i love everything about it. but.. i can never leave anything stock haha. the groove tubes sound good though so ill prob play with em for a while.

anyways i had question on good tube choices.. what are good 6l6's and 12ax7' to try? i was recommended svetlana 616 and sovtek 12 ax7.

i want to keep the clean but want a smoother tone on the od channel.
    im pretty much happy with the stock sound on the hrd but im always open to mods and new sounds.

also anybody know where to get tubes for great prices???

thanks
    j

Re: i got my hrd 2x12....now tubes..

if it were me, id replace v3 with a 12at7 and v1 with a chinese 12ax7. thatll smooth out the sound some and sweeten up the mids.
    as for 6l6's id go for the chinese for a very warm sound and the groove tubes 6l6ge's for a little brighter but still full tone (these are more expensive though)
    ive done those tube swaps on my other guitar players hrd and it made the amps tone much nicer

Comment

This site is meant for Hot Rod Deluxe owners but about 80% of the stuff on the site will work for Devilles too. This link will take you to some info on getting certain levels of headroom by switching tubes and making other adjustments. Go HERE
      ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

I've got GT 6L6GE's in mine, I liked them a lot better than the stocks for this amp.

For the preamp tubes, I just stuck one of my old Rivera 12AX7's in V1 (I liked it better than a GT 12AX7C), and a JJ balanced 12AX7 in the PI (last slot). I only use the clean channel of the amp, and this setup seemed to be cleanest (least distortion). I haven't experimented much, but that's what I use. Again, I was just trying to get the sweetest, cleanest sound out of the amp possible.

Sorry, I wasn't much help in the preamp tube department. Anyone else?
        "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

Working...
        X