Heritage 150 about 6 months later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heritage 150 about 6 months later

Well for those you who know or remember me I'm Luke the Arkansas HISTORY (props to Prophet for remembering) Poli. Science fool. In May I bought a Heritage 150 which is a les paul looking feeling sounding guitar. In fact the Heritage factory is the old Gibson factory but that's off the subject and I'm sure everyone is familiar with the story. I bought it for 750 dollars from a man used. It has a figured top, not super heavy but enough to get people's attention, and old school binding which is thin and doesn't cover all of the line in the cutaway from lamination (this is like the old gibby's and reissues). It is a lightburst or butterschotch burst kind of in between the two with a red back and neck. It came with Schaller PAF style pups and a Schaller roller-bridge and stop tailpiece. These were made from steel and VERY sturdy and heavy duty. The tailpiece fit over the grub screws and the balls went over the top...I had never seen anything like it but it achieved the same result as wrapping the strings around the tailpiece making a slinkier, lighter action. The roller bridge saddles were adjustable not only front to back but side to side. This would be an excellent bridge for a guitar with a Bigsby vibrato tailpiece. Construction is like any Gibson LP Standard BUT has REAL Mother of Pearl inlays like a LP Custom.

The sound was alright through my Z but I hadn't even picked up the guitar and had already ordered a Tone Pros bridge and tailpiece as well as a Jazz neck and JB. The onboard pups were, as i said alright nothing exceptional PAF style with a5 mags from the sound and covered. I could get a very convincing Joe Walsh sound from them. When the parts came in I also bought new pup rings with a single set of screw holes. Tone Pros is a Gotoh brand which irritated me due to the price...but the system is so good i won't fault it. I opted for the aluminium tailpiece to lighten up the whole thing. The difference in sustain is noticeable and I told John at Blackrose I figured anything to lighten a LP was good.

The pups ooooooh the pups. I installed them both in one night and plugged it in. The neck well it (and the second bridge pup) are described here:

The JB was good clean and fairly good dirty BUT. It didn't seem to be high output like I was though. It was too bright and couldn't be tamed down to my liking through the volume and tone spectrum. If it sound good a low volume it sound to thin at high volume. Another thing was the bass never sounded right. To flabby...to thin to boomy it was aggravating. The important thing is now I DO have the pups I like and this guitar has the proper voice.

As I've said I'm using a Dr. Z Maz Jr 18 watt. Its tone sets somewhere between a Marshall and Vox. It's clean sound is more akin to a Vox. Clean think Brad Paisly. My only effect I'm currently using is a SD pup booster set to 25 dB of gain. JJ tubes power it all.

The sound is thick with lots of harmonics both natural and pinch as well if you want. It's everything you want from this type of guitar in a Hard Rock setting.

These guitars are a HUGE, PHENOMENAL value. It is lighter than a comparable LP and has better fit and finish. The neck is somewhere between a 60's and 50's neck and easy on the wrist. (I hate the 50's necks) For anyone seeking a Mahogany and maple guitar I reccomend a heritage 150 over LP's for any number of reasons primarily the ones I've listed.

So fire away question-wise or retort-wise.

Luke
    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Re: Heritage 150 about 6 months later

and a <BUMP> for interested parties
    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Luke,

I just caught this thread. I too agree that Heritage builds a damn fine instrument. I think there is also a certain amount of mojo having a guitar built at the same factory and by some of the same hands that built the famous LP's from 1957-60. They seem to do things the old fashioned way at Heritage, and still take a great deal of price in the craftsmanship. Something that I feel has been hit or miss with Gibson.

I am going to pick up a Heritage this fall, and then a real Gibby LP early next year. I was going to go custom shop with Heritage ($1600 approx) but I've seen enough nice one's go on eBay for 1/2 that to make me think differently. I think I'll go that route, and then get a 57 Goldtop Reissue and be set on LP's.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

Cool! A Heritage Les Paul is on my list to get one of these days.
        GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
        KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

I can vouch for the incredible value. I grabbed a Heritage 535 w/ Bigsby and you are correct, the roller bridge works well for that!

The neck is actually better than th 58 Reissue Les Paul that I got from the Gibson Custom Shop for 2x to 3x the price. Both are very good, but that 535 just feels right. Might just be the difference in the neck back shapes. The 535 is just slightly thinner. But the fretwork and attention to detail on the Heritage is amazing.

I'm not sure I could play a finer 335 clone anywhere. I imagine your Lester clone is just as good. Great value new or used.

I'm Scott_F and I approved this message.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

I have a Heritage 140 that I bought a few weeks ago-it was one of those guitars that just had the right feel as soon as I picked it up. Totally vintage Gibson vibe to it-its those wide, low frets that does it. Sounds and plays as nice as any solid body guitar out there.

The nicest 335 style guitar I've ever played, more importantly heard, was a Heritage 535 with Seth Lovers.
            Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

I'm waiting (im-)patiently for my 150 which is being built this autumn. I'm looking forward to playing this fine instrument.

Comment

Working...
              X