banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of running my Line 6 Podxt thru a power amp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of running my Line 6 Podxt thru a power amp.

Got a Line 6 Podxt I'd like use as a preamp. It sounds horrible thru an amp so I know I need a power amp that doesn't color the sound. I want the total tone to be from the Pod. Any suggestions for a power amp that will give good volume without coloring the sound? I know my cab probably will but I don't want to spend any more money on speakers. Got a Crate Blue Voodoo cab loaded with Eminence Legend V12's @ 120 watts each.

Do you think it's possible to get it to sound close to the same through speakers as it does when recording direct? Thanks everyone.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Re: Thinking of running my Line 6 Podxt thru a power amp.

Originally posted by 75lespaul
    It sounds horrible thru an amp so I know I need a power amp that doesn't color the sound.
    Huh?!
    If it sounds horrible thru an amp, why bother? Sounds like you're throwing good money after bad to me.
    A good amp will cost as much as a decent head, anyway, so why bother?
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Not necessarily true. I run my POD xT (soon to be a Pro hopefully) through a QSC A3.7 power amp. It's solid state, but doesn't color the sound, and I got it on eBay for under $100. Just keep an eye out and you can find some good deals.

After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

i have a classic 50/50 power amp for sale if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by FretFire
          Not necessarily true. I run my POD xT (soon to be a Pro hopefully) through a QSC A3.7 power amp. It's solid state, but doesn't color the sound, and I got it on eBay for under $100. Just keep an eye out and you can find some good deals.
          ??!!??
          You're telling me that a $100 amplifier doesn't colour the sound?! I don't believe it.

Comment

75lespaul, can you try the pod directly into the effects loop return on that amp? and temporarily disable the speaker models on your pod patches? ... this might give you an idea of how it can sound through a power amp ... by bypassing the amps preamp section, you can use the pod for modeling the tone .. then by disabling the speaker models on the pod, you can use the amps power section and speaker .. might give you a little idea

if you want to keep the pod speaker models, you might want to try a full range PA cabinet with a poweramp

good luck
            t4d
            gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

The power amp is a very nice QSC from the late 80's-early 90's, hence the low price. Works extremely well and DOESN'T color the sound. I also run the POD with speaker simulations on (direct mode), as I think live mode is too harsh for my tastes. My cabinet is fairly flat eq-wise, however, so it works out pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by FretFire
                The power amp is a very nice QSC from the late 80's-early 90's, hence the low price. Works extremely well and DOESN'T color the sound. I also run the POD with speaker simulations on (direct mode), as I think live mode is too harsh for my tastes. My cabinet is fairly flat eq-wise, however, so it works out pretty well.
                I would love to hear a clip of this rig in action, actually, since I know many people use their POD as a preamp for live use.
                FretFire, is the Picaso guitar in your avatar yours?!

Comment

I don't have any recordings of the POD->amp->cab setup, just of the POD straight into my PC. And yeah that's my RG321.

Comment

I've been using 2 Atomic amps with my PODxt and it's kickin butt! It's made for the POD! Been recording quite a bit with it and starting this week I'll be using them for some club dates here in LA. http://www.atomicamps.com
                    Institute Of Noise Music Productions
                    http://www.instituteofnoise.com

Director of US Sales & Operations
                    Bogner Amplification
                    http://www.bogneramplification.com

Comment

a friend of mine used to (probably still does) run a pod into a marshall 50/50 power amp into a pair of 2x12 cabs. sounds great

Comment

im doing the same thing only with a POD 2.3.
                        i got a QSC MX 700 (2x350 stereo) amplifier going into JBL 12'' speakers.
                        the sound coloring is minimal because its PA equipment.
                        Guitars:
                        -Ibanez RG2820CTTW Limited Edition (with Dimarzio Steve's Special bridge and Air Norton neck)
                        -Peavey Harley Peavey Signature Guitar
                        -Admira spanish classical guitar

Amps:
                        - Line6 POD 2.3 Rack with poweramp and cab
                        - Marshall 1st Generation Valvestate combo
                        SHREDDING IN THE HOLY LAND

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days
                          75lespaul, can you try the pod directly into the effects loop return on that amp? and temporarily disable the speaker models on your pod patches? ... this might give you an idea of how it can sound through a power amp ... by bypassing the amps preamp section, you can use the pod for modeling the tone .. then by disabling the speaker models on the pod, you can use the amps power section and speaker .. might give you a little idea

if you want to keep the pod speaker models, you might want to try a full range PA cabinet with a poweramp

good luck
                          t4d
                          Yep, that is a cool way to work around. Just don't connect the loop send to the input of the POD also. You will be preamping your preamp. Bad news, but I think you know that already. Another work around is to use the insert plug in, if you have one on your amp. It bypasses as well. Don't use the input on the amp with the settings they suggest either. Plain and simple, it sounds like crap. You really need to bypass the preamp, and or run it to a power amp to sound good.

Keep in mind that if you get a tube power amp it is hard to run it at bedroom levels and keep good tube saturation. A SS amp would work good in this case. You don't get the tube warmth, but it will still sound good. Even at low levels. Don't know your intended use.
                          Egnater M4 (2) Recto, Blackface, Plexi
                          VHT 2502
                          (2) Randal XLT 4X12
                          (2) Jackson SL2H USA Soloist (SH-1n, TB-6b)
                          Jackson SL1 (Classic Stack, Classic Stack, TB-6b)
                          Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus & TS-9 Baked Mod
                          http://www.robertkeeley.com
                          Line 6 Echo Pro and Mod Pro
                          Chandler Digital Echo Delay

Comment

Hi guys--

Thanks for the suggestions. I already have a great amp but I was so impressed with the replication on the Marshalls etc... that I wanted to try and use it just like an amp without having to buy a Vetta. A great amp is great. Over 30 great amps is like going to 11, right?
                            My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
                            or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
                            http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
                            700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Originally posted by InstituteOfNoise
                              I've been using 2 Atomic amps with my PODxt and it's kickin butt! It's made for the POD! Been recording quite a bit with it and starting this week I'll be using them for some club dates here in LA. http://www.atomicamps.com
                              but dont those amps only have like 18w of power? not nearly enough for live use
                              my gear: '80s fender bullet (tele style)
                              fender dg20ce acoustic
                              peavey blazer 15 watt
                              line 6 pod 2.3 and floorboard
                              Atomic Reactor 112
                              Warmoth double fat strat w/ SD Jb bridge and Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell

Comment

Working...
                              X