changing pots and pickups in a sheraton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing pots and pickups in a sheraton

this is the first one im doing, so i've tied string to all the pots and im good to go, any last min advise?
    our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
    'Cause all the girls are sluts,
    And the beer tastes just like piss.

Re: changing pots and pickups in a sheraton

Take your time! Be prepared for some frustration. Once frustrated, chill and relax for a second.

Oh, also....be sure to take your time.

I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

thanks, im already on my second cig break lol i've got the harness out apart from the switch (it wont fit) the ground wire from the switch to the bridge isn't long enough anyway

Comment

Look up old threads on this, I've posted on the subject a number of times. I've re-wired several dozen F hole guitars, so if you need advice or help, PM me. It's really quick and easy with a couple of simple cheap tools and a little know-how.

I've got the 4 push-pull Jimmy Page system in a few 335's, so normal size pots are a breeze.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

thanks for all your help guys, i took the harness out, wired it all up and everything and the strings got all tangled up lol so when i tried pulling them back through they either untied themselves and dropped the pots or snapped the wires on the pots so i had to fish them out and re-solder them lol its FINALY done now complete with freshly made no load pots i wouldn't even have attempted any of this if it wasn't for you guys and this forum! so thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
            Look up old threads on this, I've posted on the subject a number of times. I've re-wired several dozen F hole guitars, so if you need advice or help, PM me. It's really quick and easy with a couple of simple cheap tools and a little know-how.

I've got the 4 push-pull Jimmy Page system in a few 335's, so normal size pots are a breeze.
            hi mate I had set up a jimmy harness, it was giving a lot of hum, So I tried several different wiring schemes just to get the pups back in the guitar, but none ground properly. I have tried the sd standard 2hum, 2vol, 2tone and toggle wiring, but nothing seems to work. been at it 3 weeks now. Any Ideas? oh its a jeff beck and 59 im putting in, thanks

Comment

keep your cool man, i've ruined pots and broken wires just because I don't take my time when I'm handling that kind of thing.

Comment

ok this is what I got, can anyone spot anything obvioushttps://forum.seymourduncan.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29384&stc=1&d=13307011 46https://forum.seymourduncan.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29385&stc=1&d=13307011 46https://forum.seymourduncan.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29386&stc=1&d=13307011 46

Comment

Originally posted by teetee View Post
                  ok this is what I got, can anyone spot anything obvioushttps://forum.seymourduncan.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29384&stc=1&d=13307011 46https://forum.seymourduncan.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29385&stc=1&d=13307011 46https://forum.seymourduncan.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=29386&stc=1&d=13307011 46
                  Shame shame...That is a sloppy,messy wiring job....All that solder on the pots looks and is really bad also...Just sayin! ;o)
                  Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97 View Post
                    Shame shame...That is a sloppy,messy wiring job....All that solder on the pots looks and is really bad also...Just sayin! ;o)
                    Yep. All that solder could still be a dry joint and the grounds might not have a solid connection. Get all that crap off there and start over-that's my advice.

Comment

actuallt those pots are the side which is working ?

Comment

Also, I know its not important but the nest of messy wires is unattractive. I would use some tubing or ties of some kind to make the wires look neater.

FWIW, I paid a luthier to re-wire my ES 335. Money well spent IMO. He did a very professional job. Soldering was near perfect and did a very neat job of routing the wires in a way that they looked very organized and out of the way. They're barely visible and run tightly against the guitar body.
                        If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                        DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Learning "HOW" to solder on a semi hollow body? Whoa you got big balls buddy!
                          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

this is an old thread lol

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave View Post
                              Learning "HOW" to solder on a semi hollow body? Whoa you got big balls buddy!
                              That was my first soldering too, on a Hamer Echotone 335. The second soldering was the Jimmy Page system in an LP.
                              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Working...
                              X