Carvin Lust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carvin Lust

I know the opinion of Carvin guitars varies drastically. Im lust hard over a couple of them right now. One model is the C66. Superstrat, no pickguard. The one I want has an orig floyd, sperzel keys, purple quilted maple top, gold trim, mahogany back. I like the new carved top too, but price dictates that I cant get that one..
    Any opinions from those who have actually played em? General consensus is that they play great, but some say they sound bright.. Im thinking the mahogany may balance that...
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Carvin Lust

I've had my eyes on a AC185, but if I don't get it, I'm most defenitely going for that Cali Carved top
    Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
    Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
    Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
    Marshall 2x12 Vintage
    Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

I'm really liking their brand new model that looks a bit like a PRS...I think its the ct6 or ct8 or something...awesome guitars. Theres a guy at my church that is a hardcore carvin fan with a couple guitar amps...a custom made 5 piece bass guitar, and a couple different electrics, an older tele type and I think he's got the strat as well. He loves them. Really good quality stuff.

Comment

My new Carvin is a dream to play, and a nightmare to have friends over.
        I get to go to a lot of overseas places, like Canada.
        -Britney Spears

Comment

Ankalar,
          So, I guess you got yours ? So, you happy? what about the tone???
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

They're really tempting aren't they? My one issue with them is that, once I called to ask if they could route the pickup cavities a tad bigger to accomodate Duncans (as apparently, their stock pickups are a bit smaller???), and they said they wouldn't do it. I thought they were a "custom shop"!

Comment

A friend of mine has a Contour 66, mahog body, maple top, vintage pups, ebony fingerboard. Weighs a ton and is clear as a bell!
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Calx
                They're really tempting aren't they? My one issue with them is that, once I called to ask if they could route the pickup cavities a tad bigger to accomodate Duncans (as apparently, their stock pickups are a bit smaller???), and they said they wouldn't do it. I thought they were a "custom shop"!
                Really? Is that still a problem? I've heard of people trowing Duncans in Carvins all the time, but this is a disappointing fact if i'll be getting a Carvin

I once contacted their Custom Shop as well, and asked like 6 or 7 questions, the guy only answered one though and didn't even explain to me why that is
                Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

Really high quality stuff for a good price. I have two DC127's, one is all maple with a floating Wilkinson VS100 trem, and the other is a maple/alder with a hardtail. Fretwork is excellent, their finishes are great, and circuitry work is very clean. They are on the bright side, but the right pickups balance them out nicely. As far as pickup fitment goes, I just take my trusty, rusty Dremel tool and round off the mounting tabs on the Duncans. Make sure to get the short leg model, though.

BTW, I think of them as a "semi-custom shop". They use CNC machines to rout out their bodies, so getting slightly larger cavities would be a bit more involved (I imagine) than just telling the builder to make them so. This helps keep the overall price down.
                  Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

So what you're saying is that you shorten the baseplate on the sides a little? Man, I hoped never to cut into the baseplate again

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

Twilight,
                      Sounds as though you approve?? Being a Wayne fan, that says alot.

Im sooo Tempted by these. Im sure it would get Duncans in it.. Prob a Blues Trembucker..

Yes, they are a custom shop in the sense that you can pick options and colors. Just cant pick certain things like that or the price would have to go up..
                      Ive heard you have to just trim the tabs on the legs alittle.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I'm glad to see they're pushing 22 frets more, these days. One thing I never liked about Carvins, despite their great looks, is those 24 fret necks, stale pickups and cheap pots. The woodwork is great, the woods are good, but the electronics are where they cut the most corners. At least they use top notch Hardware and Sperzels. I've always been fond of their Koa big bodied acoustic/electric. Looks like a great acoustic for singlenote playing. Probably one of the few acoustics you can effortlessly play fast leads on.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

GearJoneser,
                          The couple I have played have felt extremely well made. Plus as you said, the hardware is great. Sperzels on most and even thier own keys are as good as grover. What I love too is the little details. SNAGG chip, threaded inserts to keep back plate screws from stripping and foil lined cavity.
                          I just worry about the brightness. I imagine a warm set o duncans with set it perfect... Some folks like thier pups, others dont. What is sad is that so many folks in forums give them so much grief over the pups. Change em.. I mean I changed pups out of my Gibson as do many folks..
                          Dunno, Im having a hard time talking myself OUT of getting this guitar..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

BloodRose, yeah I got mine. It's very bright, and the pickups aren't the greatest. I will probably end up throwing some Duncans in there. This thing plays SO well though, so it's worth it.
                            I get to go to a lot of overseas places, like Canada.
                            -Britney Spears

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose
                              Twilight,
                              Sounds as though you approve?? Being a Wayne fan, that says alot.
                              Well, my friend's guitar has a very nice neck, even tho it doesn't play anything like the Wayne neck! He also just put a Carvin neck on a Warmoth body ... and that neck has a nice feel, too.

Coming in at 1/2 the price of a Wayne, I think that the new Carvins are quality instruments, if you like that style of look/feel/sound.
                              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
                              X