Thinking about buying a Jagmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about buying a Jagmaster

as a backup guitar, since I have money set aside for this purpose.
    Said guitar doesn't have to be completely luxurious, which is why i settled on a jagmaster: its the same shape and feel of what I play, but i wont cry if i drop it.

for now im thinking:

+

+

and maybe some tuners, but i have no idea what size the holes in the headstock are or anything. i dont suppose you guys would know.

does this seem like a good cheap backup? or doea anyone have any better ideas?

Re: Thinking about buying a Jagmaster

Dude, you've got a jazzmaster HH, which is **** near the same thing.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by beandip View Post
      Dude, you've got a jazzmaster HH, which is **** near the same thing.
      It's better actually. but this is meant as a backup to that guitar.

Comment

Alright, so you're looking for a backup? Then why the hell not? Throw in the same pickups that are in the jazzmaster, and if you can pick up the jagmaster for cheap, then go for it. I'm a firm believer that every gigging musician needs a backup at all times. So yes, if you do not currently own another guitar to use as a second (which I know you have several), then do it. Hell, if you've got the scratch, do it anyway. You can never have too many guitars.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by beandip View Post
          Alright, so you're looking for a backup? Then why the hell not? Throw in the same pickups that are in the jazzmaster, and if you can pick up the jagmaster for cheap, then go for it. I'm a firm believer that every gigging musician needs a backup at all times. So yes, if you do not currently own another guitar to use as a second (which I know you have several), then do it. Hell, if you've got the scratch, do it anyway. You can never have too many guitars.
          you can never have too many guitars with body shapes you love.

the jag HH has the stock pickups. ill try the guitar out, and if the pickups arent up to snuff ill drop a jb in the bridge or something.

any tips on how i could widen the holes for the tuners?

Comment

beandip,

the band youre in released an album?

Comment

To widen the tuner holes, using a luthier's reamer is the best and safest way unless you have an extremely sharp drill bit and have a good amount of experience in the area.

And yes, the album was released two months ago.

Comment

I think this guitar would turn out pretty good if everything goes according to plan.

im not entirely sure if the tuners are necesary though.

Comment

If the tuning holes are the same as the ones on the Squier strats, the fender/schaller locking tuners will fit, you just need to drill the small guide holes for the tuners. I'll check my Jagmaster to be sure though.

By the way, if you like the body style and scale length it will be a great backup guitar for you. They are surprisingly great guitars at the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Razix View Post
                    If the tuning holes are the same as the ones on the Squier strats, the fender/schaller locking tuners will fit, you just need to drill the small guide holes for the tuners. I'll check my Jagmaster to be sure though.

By the way, if you like the body style and scale length it will be a great backup guitar for you. They are surprisingly great guitars at the price.
                    thanks! yeah i tried one out a while back and found it hard to put down.

Comment

You might not even need the new Duncans man...those guitars are decent right out the gate.

Amber from Jucifer sure likes hers...saw her playing one both times i saw her playing...one...

green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

If you get new tuners, you should get the Fender ones that have the slotted top (like a Bass) so you don't prick your fingers on string ends.
                        Wes Montgomery is the cat.

New quote finally:
                        "You can check the inherent resonance of an acoustic guitar by farting into the soundhole."
                        -sosomething

Comment

i thought about it.

i might not need the duncans, its got duncan designed 103s.
                          duncan designed- duncan distortion.

and the vintage style tuners? might not fit. lets see what they have in store.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                            as a backup guitar, since I have money set aside for this purpose.
                            Said guitar doesn't have to be completely luxurious, which is why i settled on a jagmaster: its the same shape and feel of what I play, but i wont cry if i drop it.

for now im thinking:

+

+

and maybe some tuners, but i have no idea what size the holes in the headstock are or anything. i dont suppose you guys would know.

does this seem like a good cheap backup? or doea anyone have any better ideas?
                            Well, I've worked in a guitar just like that for the other guitarist in the band I play. The fact that it's a 24" scale guitar makes you use thick strings, which are quite good for single coil p'ups.

D'Addario 10-52 makes this guitar sing, so I've changed the Duncan Designed HB103 and put a set of GFS Mean 90s 'cause he didn't like the tone of the ceramic p'ups. It was a match made in Heaven!

The only complain comes with the bridge saddles, too sharp and rough; they made the strigs break very easily, so you've gotta work on them. The tuners are alright, even though a Gotoh set would not hurt either.

After the mod, it became his #1 guitar for gigs. It even looks cool on stage!

HTH,

Comment

When I had a squire jagmaster, I quite enjoyed it's tone, both plugged in and unplugged. The woods were resonant and breathed nicely -- much better than one might expect for a >$100 made in China guitar. Ultimately however, I could not get along with the 24" scale. It was too short, and up around the 9th fret or so, it felt like my fingers were being forced to bunch up and it wasn't comfortable to play. I ended up selling the guitar earlier this year when I started to become strapped for cash.

However, if you already have another guitar thats a 24" scale (is the Jazzmaster HH a 24" scale?), and like how it plays, then knock yourself out.
                              Originally posted by ratherdashing
                              If you don't see the value of a good 1 watt tube amp, it probably means one or more of the following:

- You live out in the country
                              - You hate your neighbours
                              - You mistakenly believe that your big amp with the master volume at 0.5 sounds good
                              - You love solid state amps
                              - You don't actually play guitar
                              - You kick puppies

Comment

Working...
                              X