Vintage Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vintage Only

When it comes to gigging, there's a very valuable rule of thumb that I have found to be true: VINTAGE GEAR IS OLD!! As such, it's not as reliable as a newer piece of gear, period.
    I'm a high gain guy, and I love channel switching, so I would say that I prefer newer amps to their vintage counterparts, tho I still prefer tubes.
    As for pedals and such, I hold to the theory that VINTAGE IS OLD! Why pay double price for an old pedal that will only get trashed at a gig?! If I'm going to spend $2-300 on a pedal, I want it to be the newest, best sounding gear technology today has to offer.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

anything over 25 years old is vintage, that doesnt mean that it is collectable or desireable or worth anything at all. there are many things that are old that are great. especially old acoustics, there was simply more good wood available.

mid 70's strats are not great as a whole (read as they suck), but i played a '77 hardtail that was really nice the other day so there are good guitars from crappy eras. ive also played a '56 tele that while it sounded nice played like a cow pie.
      the whole vintage craze is a little over the top but i think there are some very nice things that are old.

there is also a bunch of oer priced crap with the "vintage" tag on it

Comment

I like high-gain too, but I also like tones from all over the electric guitar's existence. I think vintage gear infatuation is mostly for the looks and the well-used feel.

Personally, I don't care, as long as it does what I want it to
        Watch My Videos
        Photography
        www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
        "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

The Gibson Historic division makes some great guitars that compare to the 50s and 60s originals, excpet they're not old
          Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

I happen to think the new MIM Fenders are a whole lot better than the older MIM Fenders....as a matter of fact, I think the MIMs of today are the best bang for your buck guitars out there & probably the most under-rated.........And that mainly comes from people that played the old ones, considered them crap & think the new ones are the same crap. SNOBS!!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
            Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
            FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
            http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
              ... that mainly comes from people that played the old ones, considered them crap & think the new ones are the same crap. SNOBS!!!
              GUILTY AS CHARGED!!
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

puckboy99...well said! I agree, the newer MIM Fender's are killer guitars! I bought my dad one and it soon became his main axe!
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
                X