SG Lovers Only: Your Perfect SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SG Lovers Only: Your Perfect SG

Let's say you had unlimited cash to build the SG of your dreams. What would it be like? Provide as many specs as possible, along with the kind of music you'd be playing on it. Also, take a guess as to how much it would actually cost to purchase such an SG.

- Keith
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I am just jug the merlot

Re: SG Lovers Only: Your Perfect SG

It would have 2 humbuckers, a thin neck, and be either white or black with an ebony FB like an LP Custom.

I only play Metal.

Cost? $1500 - $2000 at most. Those SGs with the split triangles aren't too bad either.

You did say perfect....

Comment

Mine would have a beefy neck C neck with jumbo frets. Ebony board with no inlays. Fralin humbuckers. Tonepros bridge. Just 2 volume knobs. That would do it. Kinda just like my 61 reissue without the inlays and the tone knobs.
      Originally posted by bluesbend
      Nothing like a cat with big balls! Especially when he starts spraying scent all over the house!

Comment

I'd go for an ESP custom shop Viper baritone, if that counts.

mahogany body and neck
        rosewood fretboard
        27" scale
        no pickguard
        clear gloss finish all over
        black, uncovered Duncan Distortions

It would probably cost between $5k and $6k.
        Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

61ri, in white with black guard(small guard), with ebony board, and hotter than vintage soapbars, and chrome hardware.
          - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

^^ that

It would probably cost around 4 large.

I would cover Devils Of Belgrade tunes on it.
            -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
              ^^ that

It would probably cost around 4 large.

I would cover Devils Of Belgrade tunes on it.
              $4k for a 61RI with an ebony fingerboard? Is that MSRP or street price?
              I am just jug the merlot

Comment

custom headstock inlay, grover tuners, bone nut, all natural finish, soft V neck with ebony board, 24 frets, and trapezoid inlays, neck-through with ever-so-slightly-thicker body, 3 phat cats(a5/a4n, a5/a3m, a2/a8b), small pickguard, gotoh hardware. for the electronics i'd have 3 volumes, one stacked tone, and two three way switches.

i'm guessing this would be something like 5k or more since it's totally/completely custom.
                Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
                ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey View Post
                  $4k for a 61RI with an ebony fingerboard? Is that MSRP or street price?
                  And P-90s? I think it would have to be a CS piece, right?
                  -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

And P-90s? I think it would have to be a CS piece, right?
                    Yeah, it would. You could swap out the buckers yourself for P-90s; not sure how much that would save. Just curious, since it sounds high, but I've never priced out 61RIs.
                    I am just jug the merlot

Comment

I'd have to build two. Both with fat necks and cherry stained. One with P90s and one with HBs.
                      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey View Post
                        Yeah, it would. You could swap out the buckers yourself for P-90s; not sure how much that would save. Just curious, since it sounds high, but I've never priced out 61RIs.
                        Eh, 'bucker sized P-90s are not part of "perfect." It would have to be soapbars, and as such, CS-only.

I don't think I've EVER seen a CS Gibson sell for less than 3-4 G's.
                        -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Eh, 'bucker sized P-90s are not part of "perfect." It would have to be soapbars, and as such, CS-only.
                          Yup, good point.
                          I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Take a black SG standard...switch to a small pickguard, chrome covered SH-1/SH-14, locking rotomatic tuners, tonepros bridge and tailpiece, bone nut, dark ebony board, WHITE binding on the neck and headstock (I hate that cream crap). Oh and slightly bigger frets.

I'd use it for everything from classic rock to some light metal. Shouldn't cost too much more than it does now...
                            "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Comment

i know nothing about SGs really ... but i'd want one in cherry stain with P90s set up for slide and i'd want to play music like derek trucks (yes, i know he doesnt use P90s - i'd be happy to play like him musically but with a slightly different tone) ... ideally the neck carve would be like my EJ strat
                              Last edited by tone4days; 11-20-2009, 04:39 PM.
                              gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Working...
                              X