Alternative to Fender for cleans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to Fender for cleans?

Are there any tube amps that are similar to a Deluxe Reverb that might be worth consideration? I have a Peavey C30 which I love, bit I'd also like to find something with more of a "clean base" to work from. No more than 30 watt's, something other than EL84 tubes and something that's not so expensive?

Re: Alternative to Fender for cleans?

That's a tall order.... sounds good, non-EL84, cheap & no more than 30 watts.... isn't that really what we all want? An awsome sounding low-wattage tube amp that sounds good? Well, Fender's got 'em. But, if you're not looking at fender, you may have to disregard price.... How about Marshall Plexi's or Vox AC-30's? That's all I can think of... but they're about 1400 a peice.
    You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

Actually, the Deluxe Reverb probably wouldn't be the best choice either. It's a great amp, but it's not known for it's clean headroom.

I can think of a lot of great "clean slate" type of amps, but I can't think of any that can be purchased cheaply. Maybe you could find an old Sound City amp head. Those come close the the Hiwatt type sound and can be found relatively cheap. The only problem is the watts.

Clean headroom and 30 watts don't usually coexist with each other and finding a good clean amp for cheap is even harder. Good luck.
      Originally posted by kevlar3000
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
      Originally posted by Zerberus
      Better is often the enemy of good
      Originally posted by ginormous
      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Maybe a Roland Jazz Chorus? There is the wattage issue there, but unfortunately clean amps require loads of headroom and yield a lot of power.

Comment

dont many twins have 85 watts, 4 6L6 tubes? Thats out of hand headroom for me!
          2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=32&cat=18

???
            Originally posted by Kanye West
            Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

An if you want to play really clean and be heard, 85 watts is not too much!

Comment

Hiwatt Custom 50 DR-504.....clean clean & headroom for days!!!

BUT OH THE PRICE!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

RIVERA!!!
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

-Small combo
                    -not EL-84
                    -Not Fender
                    -Clean sound
                    -doesn't cost an are and a leg...

Older...(Pre St.Louis Music) Ampeg!

You can pick up a Reverbrocket (single channel, rev/trem, single 12) for less that $350.00

GEMINI I
                    GEMINI VI
                    Portaflex's(Yes i know that their bass amps...but KILLER for guitar)
                    Jets
                    Reverbjets

These (as well as many others) are all good amps...I say, give them a shot...please stay away from all St. Louis Ampegs...these amps are Crate amps that look like Ampegs, they have master volumes, and some are channel switching, that is a dead give away.
                    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

On the cheap side...and only a tube pre-amp, not all -tube ....
                      the Vox Cambridge 30 or Cambridge 30 Twin.
                      <----- another experiment in rewiring turns tragic.

Comment

Dumble or Rivera. I'm not really sure what you're looking for, though. You might try looking for an old Musicman. They used 6L6's and were incredibly clean.
                        www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented
                          -Small combo
                          -not EL-84
                          -Not Fender
                          -Clean sound
                          -doesn't cost an are and a leg...

Older...(Pre St.Louis Music) Ampeg!

You can pick up a Reverbrocket (single channel, rev/trem, single 12) for less that $350.00

GEMINI I
                          GEMINI VI
                          Portaflex's(Yes i know that their bass amps...but KILLER for guitar)
                          Jets
                          Reverbjets

These (as well as many others) are all good amps...I say, give them a shot...please stay away from all St. Louis Ampegs...these amps are Crate amps that look like Ampegs, they have master volumes, and some are channel switching, that is a dead give away.
                          YUP ! Ampeg = Loud & Clean I think the V4 was made in a combo. Also
                          look for Oliver Amps. Jess Oliver designed most of Ampegs Circuits in
                          ampegs heyday. He left Ampeg and started Oliver amps ! Clean on 10 !!!
                          http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

you are correct my good man...you could get a V4 as a head, a 4x12, and a 2x12!!!
                            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
                            X