Allman Bros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allman Bros

Is it just me or does no one ever talk about ****y bett's and duane allaman's tone. Ive been working on blue sky latley and their tone is some of the most amazing tone ive ever heard I consider it to be in a catagory with guitarists like SRV and Clapton. It just so smooth and harmonicly full and rich. Anyways anyone who has a pretty good allaman bros tone care to talk about how they get it or just show some appreciation to these two amazing guitarists.
    Guitars
    MIA Olypmic white Strat, Warmoth Neck(Brazilian Rosewood)-Fralin Vintage Hots
    MIA Strat '57 RI, Tobacco Sunburst
    Danny Gatton Trib Tele-Barden Rail/Tex Mex
    Agile Al-3000-'59/Seth
    MIJ "Blackie" Strat-Ant Texas Hots

Amps
    70's Fender Super Reverb Head, Blackfaced by Billy Penn
    Fender Deluxe Plus 112

Pedals
    Modded V-847, Sniper GE-7, Boss CH-1, Modded TS-9, Boss SD-1, Boss DS-1, Keeley Blues Driver, Carl Martin Rock Drive.

Re: Allman Bros

I'm a huge Allman Bros fan and I'd love to discuss their tone, but I'm in such awe that someones name is rendered offensive by the software that I'm gonna have to come back to this one a little later.
    Not a 5150 Kramer, but a 5149 1/2 Shamer
    www.bigmouthbetty.com

Comment

they used marshall heads and marshall cabs with jbl speakers. some say cerwin vegas. and of course les pauls
      2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

Your question has been the topic of countless threads over at the Les Paul Forum. Do a search on their forum site...you'll find enough reading to last you a few months. Some of it's very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Shnook
          I'm a huge Allman Bros fan and I'd love to discuss their tone, but I'm in such awe that someones name is rendered offensive by the software that I'm gonna have to come back to this one a little later.
          Otto has his biases...
          Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
          https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
          Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Another factor is that Dikky Betts used the middle toggle position quite a bit. That's certainly part of his tone. As was mentioned above they didn't use Celestion speaker. I think Dikky favored 50w Marshalls because they break up sooner than their big brothers do. In the final analysis, the major part of their tone is/was in Betts' & Duane hands.

Jeff
            "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrec
              Another factor is that Dikky Betts used the middle toggle position quite a bit. That's certainly part of his tone. As was mentioned above they didn't use Celestion speaker. I think Dikky favored 50w Marshalls because they break up sooner than their big brothers do. In the final analysis, the major part of their tone is/was in Betts' & Duane hands.

Jeff
              Hi Jeff,

Good post except that I believe Mr. Betts used 100 watt heads while Duane preferred the 50 watt models. Of course, I could be wrong...

Steve
              John Cipollina August 24, 1943 - May 29, 1989

Comment

While Richard Betts and Duane Allman are certainly guitar heroes of mine, I can't help but mention Derek Trucks in here as well. I saw him live for the first time this summer, and I must admit he is one Talented guitarist. His tone was phenominal. He played an SG thru a Vibroverb ( I think...) Excellent slide player as well. I honestly believe his playing is on par with D1ckey and Duane. It was just a marvel to watch him live.

Comment

Originally posted by bryvincent
                  they used marshall heads and marshall cabs with jbl speakers. some say cerwin vegas. and of course les pauls
                  Very true.

In Duane's case, he used a 50W Marshall BASS head (you read right), a 4X12 and a bass cab. I think he had his pickups rewound too (can't remember who did it though). His tone on ABB @ Fillmore East is KILLIN'!!!! Most of his playing was done on a couple of Les Paul's but he also employed an SG for a good deal of his slide work. His slide was of all things, an old Coricidin medicine bottle (back when they were made of thick glass).

DB used a 100W Marshall head and played with a cleaner, brittle sound.
                  Hoo Hooooo Hooo Hoooooooo

http://talktobears.hearnow.com

Sent from an old crank telephone in rural GA

Comment

Originally posted by sgstrat
                    Hi Jeff,

Good post except that I believe Mr. Betts used 100 watt heads while Duane preferred the 50 watt models. Of course, I could be wrong...

Steve

yeah, thats corect.

personally, im obsessed with duane's tone and playing. i have many bootlegs, and you should hear some live versions of blue sky. its sick.

also, join the allman brothers forum and post in the duane section! sick stuff!@
                    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                    fender mim standard strat
                    peavey classic 30
                    johnson j-station
                    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                    yamaha f-310p acoustic
                    taylor 410 acoustic
                    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Working...
                    X