mahogany butterscotch blonde

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mahogany butterscotch blonde

I know that mahogany is generally darker than Alder or Ash but is it possible to have paint a guitar with a mahogany body butterscotch blonde and actually have it look like its supposed to? An example would be trying to make a mahogany bodied Tele look like the 52 Hot Rod Tele. I know butterscotch blonde isn't a solid color. It is a little transparent but is this still possible?

Re: mahogany butterscotch blonde

You mean like this?

I think mahogany can be bleached to be a lighter colour. I've seen the product refered to as "limed mahogany". I have no idea how it's done though. It's also possible you're looking for something like this instead:

Comment

Front:

Back (same finish over mahogany):

This finish isn't exactly butterscotch blonde, it's a deep gold color. It's the closest thing I have over mahogany.
      It is darker in the back than over the maple top. But unless it was bleached, mahogany is not going to be a light colored wood.

If you're building a guitar and deciding what wood to use, you might try korina. It is a lighter colored type of mahogany, and considered a Cadillac of tone woods. I have a korina guitar with a sunburst finish and it's exquisite.

If you're committed to using a mahogany body, another route you could go is use a butterscotch colored finish that isn't as clear. Mary Kay blonde lets a little of the grain show through, but isn't clear enough that the color of the wood darkens the finish. Something like that but a more butterscotch color.
      "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
      Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
      guitar pic site
      Original prog rock on soundcloud
      Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
      Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

Originally posted by theboatcandream View Post
        You mean like this?

I think mahogany can be bleached to be a lighter colour. I've seen the product refered to as "limed mahogany". I have no idea how it's done though. It's also possible you're looking for something like this instead:

http://home.flash.net/~guitars/TV_Yellow.html
        Not sure. The description says that its Poplar and in other parts it says its mahogany lol.

Originally posted by Kosh Naranek View Post
        Front:

Back (same finish over mahogany):

If you're building a guitar and deciding what wood to use, you might try korina. It is a lighter colored type of mahogany, and considered a Cadillac of tone woods. I have a korina guitar with a sunburst finish and it's exquisite.
        I thought about Korina but its risky. Sometimes you can get a good figure like how Gibson's Korina guitars are, but sometimes you can get an ugly figure like the PRS guitars. Atleast I think the Korina PRS guitars are ugly. Nonetheless it wouldn't be a good figure if I'm trying to emulate Alder or Swamp Ash.

Comment

Working...
        X