question about elixir strings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about elixir strings...

I'm a big big fan of these strings... I've been using them for 3 years now...Anybody knows what they're made of? I've been looking at different acoustic pick-ups (as some of you know) and some (like the fishman rare earth for example) say that their pick-up is voiced for bronze or phosphore-bronze strings. Ok... so I tried to find what these elixir were made of (never even thought of wondering about that before) and I can't find it, not on the package, not on the website, nowhere... Can anybody help me out a little? Is it directly in my face and I don't see it?
    Thanks

Re: question about elixir strings...

The Elixir acoustic strings are phosphor bronze, they just have a coating on them. They work fine with my Duncan-equipped acoustic. They probably specify phosphor bronze on the pickup description just to differentiate from nylon strings. The high E and B acoustic strings by any company are just plain steel anyway.

Comment

Thanks for the reply... They stated on the pick-up that nickel strings would screw the balance up regarding wound to un-wound strings.... Anyways, that's all I wanted to know so thanks! BTW: Where did you see they were Ph-brnz?

Comment

I don't recall where exactly I saw that, but they are phosphor bronze. Not to mention the fact that if they were nickel they'd be a silverish color, not the sort of golden color they are (the same color as other phosphor bronze strings). Try a set, I can't imagine you'd have any problems with any quality pickup. Or if you're still not convinced, go here:

and give 'em a call.

Comment

Thanks, I already did contact them via email... I know the outside wouldn't be this color... I was more questionning the core of the strings... Anyways, thanks for the help...

Comment

Glad to help. All steel strings have the same core, it's just the wrap on the wound strings that differs, whether it's nickel (generally used for electric stings) or phosphor, 80/20, or some other type of bronze for acoustic strings. The core is always the same type of metal.

Comment

Oh thanks a lot... I never wondered much about string material, until now...
              Thanks again, I love to learn new things...

Comment

Originally posted by Surgeon
                I'm a big big fan of these strings... I've been using them for 3 years now...Anybody knows what they're made of? I've been looking at different acoustic pick-ups (as some of you know) and some (like the fishman rare earth for example) say that their pick-up is voiced for bronze or phosphore-bronze strings. Ok... so I tried to find what these elixir were made of (never even thought of wondering about that before) and I can't find it, not on the package, not on the website, nowhere... Can anybody help me out a little? Is it directly in my face and I don't see it?
                Thanks
                Are you using the poly or the nanoweb strings? What is it that you like about them over other strings?
                '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

just dont get elixers for electrics. they break too easily and they dont sound that good. not worth all that money.

Comment

Working...
                  X