Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SG broke.

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    Let's also get this out of the way...a new SG Special runs between $699 and $999 new online, less in some stores Im sure and even less if you buy used...

A new neck would cost close to a grand if not more...you have to buy a new neck from Gibson, this has to be done through a Gibson authorized repair center then the old neck has to be steamed out of the pocket, the neck set in properly and glued then finish shaped...new Gibson necks are simply rough cut/shaped so after all that it has to be finished, a new nut cut for it, a fret dress, headstock overlay, etc, etc, etc...

You only reneck a Gibson if it would cost more than say $2500 to replace the guitar and even thin it might not be the most economical fix...
    he didn't mean from gibson

a friend of a friend makes them, i guess. i wouldnt trust that for my guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
      That happens all the time. It can be repaired and be stronger than ever.
      +1

I broke the headstock on my '96 LP Standard a few years ago. It looked as bad as that. You can get a glue repair done professionally quite cheaply. If you want the area refinished it costs more. I had mine glued and refinished by Chandler Guitars in London (a bit out of your way probably ) and you can barely see where it was broken. The only clue is the finish looking newer and having bled slightly into the binding. Plays and sounds as great as ever - all part of the story!

Comment

Neck replacement would be like shooting tin cans with 30mm high explosive ammo.

A good Luthier will fix the headstock and you´ll barely ever know it was there. That will be MUCH cheaper than replacing the neck, even if you get the replacement neck for free. One is an hour or 2 of work and a lot of drying time, the other is a full workday and a lot more drying time.
        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post

A good Luthier will fix the headstock and you´ll barely ever know it was there. That will be MUCH cheaper than replacing the neck, even if you get the replacement neck for free. One is an hour or 2 of work and a lot of drying time, the other is a full workday and a lot more drying time.
          exactly - it just needs gluing/clamping & potential spot re-finishing.
          Originally posted by Empty Pockets
          I find it much easier to pay somebody else to nibble them rather than attempt to do it myself.

I mean I've got mad respect for those of you who can get into the positions required for such a task but I'm just not that flexible.

Comment

i don't understand why any would own a guitar that's worth more than $500 and not buy a hard shell case to carry it around in.
            Gear:
            Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
            Epi Dot Natural
            Partscaster blackie
            Breedlove Passport Mahogany
            VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
            Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by thespricket View Post
              i don't understand why any would own a guitar that's worth more than $500 and not buy a hard shell case to carry it around in.
              He spoke about this, but he doesnt have a job or anything, so i suppose its difficult.

my fender jaguar came with a gig bag so padded, its like a case.

its like a hard shell gig bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post

Comment

I currently own 2 guitars that have had headstock breaks.

My EB-0 and my '65 Epiphone Olympic.

The EB-0 had been broken at least twice before I got it- there were two different sets of dowels and one dowel had been doweled through it. While I owned the bass, it had been broken 3 times- oddly I've never been the one to break it off. The last time it broke, I took it to a guy who did instrument repairs for a school system- I told him I didn't care how ugly it looked as long as it was stable... Anyway, the current repair was done in 1995 or early 1996- it has not broken since then and it's probably been the longest it's gone without a break. The face of the break had been reglued, I don't think it was re doweled, the guy took a chunk of wood from either side of the nut and replaced it with another chunk of mahogany. After I got it back I "made" a volute by coating on 2 ton epoxy all over that ****er. For about a week, I'd slather the epoxy on and let it dry then re do it again, over and over.

It's ugly, but it's stable and hasn't broken in 13/14 years.

The other broken headstock I have is from my 1965 Epiphone Olympic. It was in a case that wasn't fully latched, that cracked it, but the crack was stable. A few years after that it got knocked off a guitar stand. That was a "professional" job- The guy fixed the crack and built a real volute on it. I'm not sure I really like the volute- but the guitar is stable.

*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                  Originally posted by Slash2987
                  Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                  Originally posted by PVFan
                  I'm a good sex man.
                  Originally posted by Grumpy
                  I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by thespricket View Post
                    Two reasons come to mind immediately: you spent so much money on the guitar that you couldn't afford the case, or you never have occasion to bring the guitar out of the house. In Astro's friend's case, the latter clearly wasn't at play.
                    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                    I am just jug the merlot

Comment

If your asking questions here, its pretty obvious that you have never attempted a repair of this nature. I would recommend taking it to a pro and have it repaired properly. There are a few ways to address it and it will come down to how pretty you want the repair to look after or if you just want the neck repair to be stable. If stability is all you are after a good luthier can repair this pretty easily and quickly. If you want it to look pretty then it will require some finish work and that adds cost and time to get it done right.
                      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I definitely wouldn't try fixing it myself. I knew someone that had a small clean break at the headstock of a LP, tried to fix it himself, failed and ended up paying more for the tech to undo the botched fix before fixing it properly. This isn't like trying to file your own nut without knowing what you're doing, screwing it up has actual consequences.

Comment

I wasnt going to try it myself.

i just wanted to ask what you guys would do. he's calling a tech..

and he needs a hardshell case.

I gave him a hard time:

"I told you, you shouldnt have bought an SG. but you were all 'nnnnnnooooou I'll take care of it'

and

'i wanna be indie and hip' ".

now he's looking at fenders.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                            now he's looking at fenders.

Gibsons being a bit fragile is no excuse for playing Fenders!!

Comment

SGs are indie and hip? I had no idea.
                              Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                              I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey View Post
                                SGs are indie and hip? I had no idea.
                                apperantly, they are alternative.

I'm the only weirdo playing Jaguars, Stratocasters and Telecasters.

Comment

Working...
                                X