Should I get a tube amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should I get a tube amp?

One super hip amp, IMO, for bedroom practice would be a blackface fender champ or vibrochamp.... low wattage, so you can really crank em, and they sound pretty good, IMO. Worth checking out if you dig classic fender sounds.

Note: Silverface fender amps are almost always cheaper than blackface, and i do recall it being said at the Fender Forum that the vibrochamp circuit didn't change when it went to silverface, as nearly all the other amp models did (usually, they changed for the worse). However, my mom has got a silverface vibrochamp that doesn't sound too good when cranked... but i think that might be the speaker.

Princetons and Princeton reverbs are cool too, if you want something a tad bigger or with more tonal options in an old fender.
    '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
    Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
    '66 Fender Bassman
    Fender Champion 600
    Fender Stage 100

Comment

I think Peavey makes the best bang for your buck tube amps out there. The XXX is a very good all around amp. I think you would like it.

Comment

IMHO, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Imp
          marshall DSL 401 or 201. 20 or 40 watt combos, all EL84. go nuts
          TUBES! ^^^^^
          MySpace!

2003 Gibson LesPaul Standard(lightburst) JB bridge / Jazz neck

2001 Fender MIA stratocaster (3-tone sunburst)SH-6 DD bridge stock middle and neck

2004 ESP LTD Viper-400 (white) EMG-81 set

Marshall DSL50

Mesa-Boogie Traditional Rectifier slant cab loaded with V-30's

Comment

There have been many good amps mentioned, but if you wanted to get a 50 watt tube head, say a DSL, you don't HAVE to have a 4x12 to go with it. You could buy a 1x12 extension cab for it and it would have less projection and therefore sound like it has less volume. You could always uprgade later to something bigger like a 2x12 or 4x12.
            Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 Head!
            Avatar 4x12 Slant Cab w/ 2 V12's and 2 GB12's
            Schecter 006 Elite w/ Duncan Custom
            Fender Std. Strat w/ Invader

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys! Well looks like I'm gonna take the majorities advice and stick with looking for a tube amp. A couple weeks ago I did check out a Mesa nomad 45 watt combo. I thought it did the job well, however some mention reliablity issues with that particalur amp. In the past I've tried the dsl 401, but I didn't really like the distortion (just wasn't for me I guess). I have played a dsl 50 and I liked it but I'd want it through a 2x12 cab as opposed to 4x12 cab. Two days ago I finally got to play a 5150 II, but I felt I couldn't get the full affect out of it since I could only have the post gain on 1. Well I guess I'll get back to shoppin' around. thanks again.

Tom
              -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
              Vox VT15
              Washburn D10SCE
              Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Comment

Originally posted by jmv
                However, my mom has got a silverface vibrochamp that doesn't sound too good when cranked... but i think that might be the speaker.
                How cool is your mom!!

Comment

Originally posted by StratTom
                  Thanks for all the help guys! Well looks like I'm gonna take the majorities advice and stick with looking for a tube amp. A couple weeks ago I did check out a Mesa nomad 45 watt combo. I thought it did the job well, however some mention reliablity issues with that particalur amp. In the past I've tried the dsl 401, but I didn't really like the distortion (just wasn't for me I guess). I have played a dsl 50 and I liked it but I'd want it through a 2x12 cab as opposed to 4x12 cab. Two days ago I finally got to play a 5150 II, but I felt I couldn't get the full affect out of it since I could only have the post gain on 1. Well I guess I'll get back to shoppin' around. thanks again.

Tom
                  Have you tried out the F-series? I haven't seen one in person, but given the decriptions of both amps I'd go for the F-series over the nomad.

FWIW I bought my DC-3, NEW, the most expensive thing I had ever bought at the time, without ever seeing or playing one in person!
                  Homemade Tas Oak Tele w/ SD Custom 4 & strat Blue Lace Sensor, Boogie DC-3

Comment

i'd say don't bother with higher wattage tube amps with a master volume- they are distorting preamp tubes, which sounds, uh, well, like a SS amp. Either go with a low wattage tube amp or a modeling amp.

Modeling amps are not too hard to program at all. Yes, you have to read the manual. Besides, you learn about sound design in the process which helps us become better players and arrangers anyway.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If you are going down the Mesa Boogie route then go for the F30 or F50 - the latter as it will allow you to change the power tubes very easy. Lovely clean sounds and plenty for you at bedroom levels or even gig levels - also don't forget it does have headphone sockets - so you can practice without annoying anyone!!.

However if that is too rich then get a Blues Junior or Pro Junior and they will be more than adequate the lovely clean sounds and also fattens up - you will need to get an OD/Distortion pedal if you want that cruch tone. FWIW - I use 2 of my BJ's linked up up when gigging and also when just playing/rehearsing. However others have mentioned other amps and try them all before you buy. Important thing is not to worry about the power rating of any of these tube amps as even a 6W will outdo a trannie 100w - yes you read that correctly.

On the subject of digital amps - they are very good and are getting better, where they score is of course getting close to the models that they are emulating. They also sound very good at relatively low volumes but it is when they are pushed that they start to clip and getting IMO "awful". Tubes tend to bring in a more sweeter and start to sing when the power tubes glow!! That is why a lot of people have and love them.

I have a Nomad 55 combo and also a 1x12 ext speaker and I have never known there to be a problem with reliability issues, so I don't know why this perception has got out. All Mesa's are built like proverbial tanks and I don't think you will have any problems with them with gigging.
                      Normans Guitars

Comment

I have two tube amps (one combo and one half stack) and a modeling amp rack. I don't think modeling amps are too complicated. For example, I have POD pro. I do not use its FX at all. So all I have to do is treaking gain, treble, middle, bass and volumn. Since it has digital out, recording is mucho easier.
                        "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

Working...
                        X