Acoustic guitar through normal Amplifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic guitar through normal Amplifier

Just say you have some random amplifier and you wanna plug yourself into it... would it work? I haven't tried because I'm too scared.

Bee
    Originally posted by Kanye West
    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Re: Acoustic guitar through normal Amplifier

Yep, just won´t sound as good as it could
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

It'll be fine. I've played my Taylor through my Mesa Dual Rectifier!! Just be very careful with the volume. Keep the volume way down on the guitar and gradually pull it up to test your limits. The feedback is the thing to watch out for. DO NOT face the amp directly!!!! The other thing you can do is get one of those soundhole plugs to help keep the feedback down. But you shouldn't have a problem with damage. On the good side... you can get some really killer tones through a dirty setting! Talk about FAT!!!
      1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
      1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
      2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
      Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
      Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Comment

Yeah, forgot to mention that, distorted acoustics kill all that dare stand in their way
        Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Ooh good advice, thanks Zerb and sooper!

Edit: Last time I plugged it in it made one hell of a bloddy loud hum. Hurt the ears. Needed safety confirmation, lol
          Last edited by Rainmaker; 10-13-2004, 10:41 AM.
          Originally posted by Kanye West
          Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
            Yeah, forgot to mention that, distorted acoustics kill all that dare stand in their way

I used to play my Ovation through a Tube Screamer and a Bandit.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

thing is, it can be done, and it won't hurt anything, but it won't sound good. you need a full-range amp, like a keyboard amp to make an acoustic sound good. regular guitar amps have too many mids, not enough lows and highs.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer
                thing is, it can be done, and it won't hurt anything, but it won't sound good. you need a full-range amp, like a keyboard amp to make an acoustic sound good. regular guitar amps have too many mids, not enough lows and highs.
                I've read/heard this before. Is it so unbalanced that you can't clean it up using the Bass/Mid/treble controls on the amp?
                Fender American Standard Fat Strat - 2004
                Epi Elitist Les Paul Std. - 2004 (Brobucker/APH2)
                Parts-o-caster (Fender '62 Reissue CAR Strat body)
                Part-o-tele(Ash body, birds-eye maple neck)
                Aria 1592 T*caster 69 Thinline Copy - 1974

Peavey Classic 30, Fender Silverface Champ(77), Roland MicroCube

Comment

you can play an acoustic through an amp and have it sound good. Check out the John Butler Trio, he plays a 12 string acoustic through a marshall stack...he has a huge tone.
                  MIM Fender Strat-stock
                  Kramer Focus-cool rails/vintage rails/hot rails
                  Dean V X- 85/81
                  Crybaby From Hell
                  Ibanez DE7
                  ADA MP-1
                  Furman EQ
                  Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

One of the best amps I've ever plugged an acoustic into was a Deluxe Reverb boutique copy by Blues Pearl. I think a tube rectifier does something great...compression. You just have to scoop out the mids, and make the EQ curve as flat as possible, to emulate a PA. Even better, if you have an EQ pedal or Fishman EQ. I'd love to see a company put out an all tube acoustic amp with a tube rectifier.
                    The natural compression it adds is perfect.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

To reiterate what others have said: the problem with most guitar amps is that the speakers are not voiced for the acoustic guitar.
                      Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                      https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                      Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
                      X