HOw do you clean your Frets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOw do you clean your Frets?

How do you guys clean and polish your fret wires without wear them out and ruining your fretboard?
    And advice will be appreciated. Thank you all.
    "We live thinking we will never die. We die thinking we had never lived. Cut it out." - Jason Becker

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change" - Heraclitus

sigpicHouse of Jackson, Charvel, ESP, BC Rich, Dean etc.. Fans. Come and Join us!

Re: HOw do you clean your Frets?

i use Orange Glo, I havent tried it on the fret wires tho

Comment

Tape over the fretboard and pickups for protection, 0000 steel wool and metal polish for the actual work, lemon oil on the fretboard afterwards if necessary.
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
        Tape over the fretboard and pickups for protection, 0000 steel wool and metal polish for the actual work, lemon oil on the fretboard afterwards if necessary.
        +1 I use the blue painter's tape.....

Comment

Dremmel tool with a cloth buffing wheel and jewlers rouge. I use one of the Stew Mack metal fret guards to protect the board and polish the frets to a mirror like shine. I finish it all off with a Q-Tip soaked in Fret Doctor for the fret board once a year or so on all my guitars.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

+ 1 in protecting the pickups getting the fibers from Steel Wool in your pickups will kill um!!
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I actually use duct tape flipped over as a cover for the pickups, and fixing that to teh top with normal masking tape. The duct tape not only keeps the dust out of the pickups, but makes it adhere which results in much easier cleanup. Simply fold the duct tape over on itself, blow once over the top of the guitar, and you're done. Will of course work with just about any tape

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

What kind of tapes should use? Duct tape? would not it damage the fretboard?
                Where can i buy the steel wool and metal polish from?

"We live thinking we will never die. We die thinking we had never lived. Cut it out." - Jason Becker

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change" - Heraclitus

sigpicHouse of Jackson, Charvel, ESP, BC Rich, Dean etc.. Fans. Come and Join us!

Comment

Masking tape works fine and is available together with steel wool at any pseudo-decently stocked home improvement center. Lowe´s, Home Depot, whatever you call them stateside

Like Ascension, I use jeweler' s rouge and a buffing wheel on a dremel for the final polish. These are also both available at said establishments or at least should be. Metal polish was a bit misleading in my post, as you probably won´t want the messiness of brasso or similar liquid products....
                  Last edited by Zerberus; 01-29-2010, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cakire82 View Post
                    What kind of tapes should use? Duct tape? would not it damage the fretboard?
                    Where can i buy the steel wool and metal polish from?
                    Any hardware store should have 'em. Use 0000 steel wool, BTW.
                    -Mike-

Originally posted by rhymes with metalchurch79
                    I take peoples advice after i do some quick math to determine if the lie detector test determines they are full of sh**. Take their post count x 5minutes per post = how much time they didnt spend playing or working on their guitars. The Pros will be spotted right away.

Comment

Wide vibrato

Comment

I use the same method, no metal polish though. I find the 0000 does a fine job.

Make sure to tape up your pickups so the stray steel wool doesn't stick to them.
                        Originally posted by Frankly
                        PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
                        Originally posted by Diocletian
                        Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

you can also stick a neodynium magnet inside a plastic case (like the stew-mac repair magnets) and hold that into your steel wool, dramatically reduces the amount of particles coming off it & the magnet doesnt get ruined, becuase the dust is attached to the outside of the plastic case, not the magnet.

I use a dremel flex shaft & dremel compound #421, followed by x-treem metal polish - I did try jewellers rouge but I couldnt get anything out of it, maybe I bought too fine a version (I dont know much about it to be honest)
                          Originally posted by Empty Pockets
                          I find it much easier to pay somebody else to nibble them rather than attempt to do it myself.

I mean I've got mad respect for those of you who can get into the positions required for such a task but I'm just not that flexible.

Comment

1. Planet Wave abrasive paper.
                            2. X-treem metal polish on a rag and a finger.

I do this once a year in all my guitars.

HTH,
                            Last edited by LtKojak; 01-31-2010, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Both Dunlop and Planet Waves have fret polishing cloths that work very well.

But the best way to keep them shiny is to play it!

Bill
                              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
                              X