Preamp Tubes in a Single Rec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preamp Tubes in a Single Rec

I'm gonna be getting a Single Rectifier Solo 50 head at the end of the month (i'll be really sad to see the Triamp go, but i think it's for the best in the long run...)

I was wondering . . . i'm quite keen on the clean sounds in this head (i know not everyone is) but would they be even better if i experimented with different preamp valve combinations?

What would be a good idea to try and which positions would be most effective?

Apart from a general lowering of the amp's overall gain (i don't mind this - can't ever imagine needing to crank the lead gain anyway!) would i experience any negative side effects from doing this...?

Thanks, Chris

Re: Preamp Tubes in a Single Rec

First, find out what each of the preamp tubes actually do in the circuit. I haven't opened a Mesa in awhile, so I forget how many pre tubes it has.
    I've found that amps like Mesa, Bogner, and highgain Marshalls sound best with Svetlana power tubes and GT 12AX7C's ($14) If your amp has one pre tube dedicated to the clean channel, put a JJ ECC83 in that position, since it sounds cleaner and fatter. The GT Chinese are really smooth, have tight focused bass, and gain equal to the best NOS tubes.....that's why I like them.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Re: Preamp Tubes in a Single Rec

If you can either borrow or buy them, grab a few preamp tubes of different makes and models. That way, you can experiment with swapping each brand of tube into each position to see if you like the way it reacts with your amp.

If you're upgrading tubes, ensure to pay the extra couple of $$$ to get a ballanced tube for the phase inverter slot.
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Working...
      X