best strat for under $1100.00

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: best strat for under $1100.00

Well, depends on what kind of sound you're going for. Me, I'm a vintagey kind of guy. Best deal out there right now for new vintage style Strats is the Jimmie Vaughn signature model. Basically a '57 style (deep contour body), great 50's V neck, USA tuners and bridge assy, Tex-Mex pickups (sound more "classic" than TX Specials), $550 brand new. I'm gettin' one today

Comment

Here is the deal...I very strongly disl;ike most non Custom Shop Fender necks, I also really dislike most stock Fender pickups made past about 1970, plus I think that most newer Fender guitars are very overpriced. The closest thing Fender has to what I want is an older Jeff Beck Strat but it's still got the wrong pups, bridge, and tuners, plus if I had it perfect, it would have a maple fingerboard. I just gonna build it myself...I can choose all the right parts, have the neck done just right, plus I can do a real nitro finish on it! That is unless somebody has a real good idea real fast!
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented
        That is unless somebody has a real good idea real fast!
        A friend of mine has a Warmoth compound radious neck on his Strat and it's some sweet.

If I was to go the custom route, I'd go Warmoth as I don't have the tools to machine bodies. I'd also be building a custom Jagstang with forearm and belly cuts, plus a TOM-Stoptail bridge.
        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Go the Warmoth route. For that kind of money, you can get a Strat exactly the way you want it. Off the shelf Fenders just don't do it for me for several reasons. I would never buy one because of the narrower, thinner necks and smaller frets. So I got a neck and body from Warmoth, and I'm in the process of putting together a killer Strat for much less than $1100. In fact, the neck and body combined cost me less than $500.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I found a Strat 1960 Custom Shop Closet Classic used for $1199, before negotiating. I hope I can snag it.

Brent

Comment

I agree about most Fender necks...if it's big enough the frets are tiny and the radius is 7 inches...if the frets are big the nack is very thin...here is what I think I'm gonna do...if you have any feedback or ideas, please let me know
              -Alder or Swamp Ash body from Warmoth
              -Maple neck from Warmoth(big and fat!)
              -Locking Keys
              -Roller nut
              -Callaham vintage Tremolo
              -All vintage hardware from Callaham(except straplocks...gotta have'em)
              -2 APS 2's and a Twangbanger
              -Vintage Brown case form Callaham
              -Nitro finish (aged) I will do the finish myself

After all is said and done It will come out to less that $1000.00...and i must say IMO this axe will be top shelf...
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented
                I agree about most Fender necks...if it's big enough the frets are tiny and the radius is 7 inches...if the frets are big the nack is very thin...here is what I think I'm gonna do...if you have any feedback or ideas, please let me know
                -Alder or Swamp Ash body from Warmoth
                -Maple neck from Warmoth(big and fat!)
                -Locking Keys
                -Roller nut
                -Callaham vintage Tremolo
                -All vintage hardware from Callaham(except straplocks...gotta have'em)
                -2 APS 2's and a Twangbanger
                -Vintage Brown case form Callaham
                -Nitro finish (aged) I will do the finish myself

After all is said and done It will come out to less that $1000.00...and i must say IMO this axe will be top shelf...
                Sounds nice! I'd get it in alder, use frets that are just a little smaller than Am Std frets, use a bone or graphite nut, instead of the roller, and I'd install a set of Antiquity Surfers and the Custom Surfer 9.7 A-5 bridge. It's hard to imagine a more perfect strat than that.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I would say look for a used American Deluxe strat. I got a 2003 model a few weeks ago for $580. It plays really sweet. The only thing I wish it had was a neck more liek the Clapton models. I'm happy enough with the stock pickups ( 2 noiseless and a bridge humbucker) that I don't even need to change them.

Either that or find the highest end used guitar that you can for upto $1100. I've reached a point in life where I want that extra money in the bank so I wouldn't even think of spending $1100 anymore, you may differ though.

happy shopping!!!
                  2001 MIA Strat Sunburst w/maple neck. Hot Rails (b), Vintage Rails (m), Cool Rails (n). 2003 MIA Deluxe Fat Strat Sunburst w/maple neck.

Comment

I'd go with an Earvana nut instead of a roller nut. The Earvana nut has the slipperyness of graphite, so it works well with tremolos. But it also improves your intonation, and they're not too difficult to install yourself. If you have the skills to do a nitro finish, I have no doubt you could install one.

Ryan
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

My only problem with Fender guitars is the neck...If I bought a Fender Strat, I would end up changing the neck, and the pickups, add to that a new nut and more that likely locking keys...by this point I've spent $900.00-$1000.00 and the guitar in question is not exactaly the way I want it...it's just close! I think doing it myself is the way for my to go. I was offered a 60's classis MIM strat Friday for $275.00, and it was nice but I would endup changing so much of it, it just seems pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainmaker
                        G&L Guitars?

G&L, in my opinion builds the best strat style guitars. I prefer the S-500, it's pickups are powerful, and clean. You can buy a new S-500, for $1,100 as long as you don't go wild with options. Nice used S-500,s can be found in the $500-$600 range. S-500's sound the best with mahogany bodies, but they're kind of hard to find.

Sprinter
                        Collings: '08 001-mhsb
                        Dean: '02 Hardtail
                        Fender: '63 Jazzmaster, '74 Telecaster & '11 American Special Telecaster
                        Fender Custom Shop: '16 1962 Custom Telecaster
                        Gibson: '78 Les Paul Deluxe & '99 Les Paul Standard
                        G&L: '87 Asat, '02 Asat Classic
                        Guild: '81 X-79 Skyhawk
                        Heritage: '09 H535 25th Anniversary
                        PRS: '97 Standard 24 & '99 McCarty

Comment

Go warmoth-especially if you like fat necks.
                          Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

"music heals"
                            facebook

Comment

Colorado's premier retailer of quality electric guitars and acoustic guitars. We proudly provide a huge range of Fender, Fender Custom Shop, Gibson, Taylor Acoustic, & more.

You'd need $200 more tho!

B
                              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Working...
                              X