dilemma - multi-effects processor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dilemma - multi-effects processor

should i trade a boss gt-3 for a boss me-50? share your opinions please.

cheers!
    dani
    the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Re: dilemma - multi-effects processor

NO!!! Let me tell you why...

The ME50 may sound good but it has one very major weakness: When you switch from patch to patch the sound cuts off for about 1/5th of a second. This is a huge pain in the ass. I discovered this when i was hunting for a good multi unit to use as an FX engine only (no pres or OD/DS effects) and once I found out it did that I dropped it like a hot potato.

I like the GT3's. They're cool. I just got a used GT5 and I'm really happy with all the effects, and I get my distortion and pre sound from my amp anyway so it works great.

Comment

I have an ME-50 and have no complaints. I think for the price you get a boat load of quality BOSS effects! I had a GT-3 and it was ok but didn't care for the tinkering you had to do to get a good sound.

The thing I hate about most multi-effect units is that you have to screw around with them for a while to get your sound. WIth the ME-50 you get just good effects, you turn it on, mess around with the knobs for a minute and you have a great sound. There are also some modeling choices as well which I don't use but I suppose could come it handy.

Yes there is a slight 1-2 second wait when you switch from patch to patch but it hasn't really been a big deal IMO. My advice is to take one for test drive and make your own decision.
      Last edited by bearballz; 10-16-2004, 07:16 AM.
      Gear: 2002 Fender Amer. Strat W/TX Specials
      1999 Fender MIM Strat...
      2004 Music Man Sub 1

'94 Fender Deluxe Reverb.
      Line 6 Spider II 1x12
      Boss ME-50
      Boss DD-5

Comment

thanks guys! the gripe i have with with my gt-3 is that the unit is one helluva heavy to lug it around for gigs. i use it as a effects station with an external od pedal like b2d. with a better user interface and lighter weight, i thought the me-50 might be a better idea until i read it has a delay when switching patches...
        the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Comment

Originally posted by dani
          thanks guys! the gripe i have with with my gt-3 is that the unit is one helluva heavy to lug it around for gigs. i use it as a effects station with an external od pedal like b2d. with a better user interface and lighter weight, i thought the me-50 might be a better idea until i read it has a delay when switching patches...
          I don't mind having a pedal board with a lotta real estate LOL...

I use my GT5 solely as an effects engine. I have the preamp, DS/OD, and speaker sim and mot of the time the EQ turned off so i just get the effects sound and they can do their thing. The GT5 sits in the effects loop of my amp and i get my distortion from a Keeley DS1 Ultra mixed with the medium crunch from the amp. My wah, EQ, and Whammy needs are separate as well.

As far as the Me-50s switching/cutoff flaw, if I was younger i might've overlooked this and just dealt with it and LATER ON gotten really frustrated that i tricked myself my saying, "Oh that doesn't matter" in the store just cuz i wanted something easy but now I'm smart enough to recognize that this kind of flaw is totally unacceptable. Did BOSS really not see it fit to fix this?

You can see the exact setup here: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...7&postcount=39
          Last edited by B2D; 10-16-2004, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Well most multi effect pedals under $300.00 will have a 1-2 second lapse when switching patches. My buddy's digitech does it and so does the Yamaha Magicstomp.

I gig with the ME-50 and again it really isn't really a big deal for ME. I usually change patches between songs and nobody notices. If your looking for something that doesn't do that then I think that you should look for something more expensive.
            Gear: 2002 Fender Amer. Strat W/TX Specials
            1999 Fender MIM Strat...
            2004 Music Man Sub 1

'94 Fender Deluxe Reverb.
            Line 6 Spider II 1x12
            Boss ME-50
            Boss DD-5

Comment

Working...
            X