Do you like your 6-hole trems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you like your 6-hole trems?

Hey, I'm building a custom guitar and already have a 6-hole trem.
    (LR Baggs X-bridge)

I just wanted to know what you guys thought about the 6-hole trems.

Soundwise how would it compare to its 2 pin counterparts?

Do they give more tuning problems than normal 2-pin trems? i will be using locking tuners (either schaller or grover, suggestions?)

I can sell it and get a 2-pin trem but would rather keep it if it was decent sounding and didn't give tuning hassles.

So what do you think?

Re: Do you like your 6-hole trems?

if its a good bridge, id use it. if not get a new one. i have a 6 pt trem on a strat that kinda sucks but im gonna replace it with a nice calaham 6 pt to give it a little more sustain

Comment

i dont like 6 hole trems cause they're too stiff. and they seem to go out of tune easier as well

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
        if its a good bridge, id use it. if not get a new one.
        +1

IMO, a lot of the prejudice against six-hole trems is like bias against bolt-neck guitars. A lot of 'em are cheap but that doesn't mean they all are.

I have five guitars with six-hole trems. Four are PRS and one is a Driskill. I'm pretty happy with 'em. They can all handle just about anything short of slack-string dive bombs just fine.

Finally, keep in mind that trem tuning issues are often caused by the nut and tuners and not just the bridge.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
        My Music

Comment

The Strats I've owned have always had vintage trems, never played a two-point except for the Lite Ash Strat I tried recently. I've never had a problem with them sounding bad or staying in tune. Check out the Strat setup guide at www.mrgearhead.com for good info about how to setup a 6 hole trem. If it's got a cheap, small trem block, get a good steel one from Callaham or Allparts. Best thing you can do for a cheap trem.

Comment

Hmm...a six bolt trem? I like them a lot. I really prefer them over the 2 point trem because I think they sound 'thicker'. Not the Japanese ones or the Mexican ones, though, as they are NOT the same bridge that is on the USA Vintage series. I can really tell a difference. Now, I don't use the trem for vibrato, so I can't comment on the tuning differences. If you're using a guitar with locking tuners and a good nut (LSR, graphite) and is set up well, I can't imagine it being much worse that the 2 point trem in terms of tuning stability.

Farkus
            2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
            1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

working on a strat right now...belive me when I say this...A 6 HOLE TREM SOUNDS BETTER THAT A 2 HOLE!!! With locking tuners and a good nut you will be in tune just fine!
              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I've owned both, and prefer the 6 screw vintage trems. Get yourself a quality bridge, like a Callaham, and you will be set. More stable IMO than the 2 pt, and better tone.
                My Sound Clips

Comment

i love my callaham bridge. imo, a 6-hole trem is vital for an authentic strat tone. i do not have any tuning problems with it since i don't use it like a floyd but more for a vibrato/tremolo effect. if set up properly (that includes your nut, string retainers and tuners), it can hold its tune with any 2-hole trem. lastly, get a steel block if yours is not. it makes a hell lot of difference.
                  the mind is willing, but the flesh is weak...

Comment

I dive-bomb with my MIJ 62RI strat and it stays in tune just fine. I have Kluson style tuners and a bone nut as well. It's all about how you set it up.
                    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
                    X