'51 nocaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '51 nocaster

does anyone own or have tried this guitar...i just bought one and i can't put it down and i've played and loved strats for 35 years..i would sometimes try telecasters cause i loved the sound that i've heard people get out of them but they never did it for me until this one...

Re: '51 nocaster

i love old teles, never played a 51 but i played a 52 just yesterday, jim weiders while we were testing out all kinds of amps. great sounding guitar

Comment

is it a fender custom shop reissue or a real 51? either way i want to see some pictures too.
      Cleveland Guitars

Comment

sorry for any confusion it's a custom shop '51 nocaster

Comment

The CS relic nocaster has a rep for being the finest tele you can get. Along with the PRS McCarty soapbar, it'd be top on my list of guitars to own. I haven't compared one to a real nocaster, but they are the closest thing I've found to the '52 tele my old luthier has, only with 'fresher' pickups.
          Originally posted by Jolly
          ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

i have to agree i've been a strat player forever i mean it's so comfortable but this nocaster is unbelievable to me..

Comment

What, exactly, does the term "nocaster" mean, anyway?

Comment

There was a time early in fenders history when they could not use the original "Broadcaster" name, due to annother company having the rights to that name. Before they came up with the name "Telecaster", there was a period where they just cut the "Broadcaster" part of the logo's out, since they had so many on hand, and didn't want to waste them. These Tele's just had the Fender logo on them, hence the name "Nocaster".
                My Sound Clips

Comment

Ah . . . thanks Jeff. Interesting little piece of Fender trivia.

Comment

those cs relics are some cool guitars
                    Cleveland Guitars

Comment

eek, i gotta be the one person here that *hates* these guitars- you got yourself 1 sound, so you better like it (and I don't)! sounds kinda like a graphic eq with the top 3 bands all the way up and the others all the way down. but i never got the whole telecaster thing anyway- i tend to go for more round/smooth tones and guitars that don't dig in my ribs. to each their own!
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The thing with teles is you need a certain kind of right hand to make them work. They can sound very fat when played by someone who has spent some time learning to work with them.

But you're right, to each, his own. One person's round/smooth is another person's overcompressed and indistinct. And I agree with you all the way about the body contours, though you do get used to it. My idea of heaven would be a nocaster with wilkinson intonatable three piece saddles and strat contours.
                        Originally posted by Jolly
                        ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits
                          The thing with teles is you need a certain kind of right hand to make them work. They can sound very fat when played by someone who has spent some time learning to work with them.

But you're right, to each, his own. One person's round/smooth is another person's overcompressed and indistinct. And I agree with you all the way about the body contours, though you do get used to it. My idea of heaven would be a nocaster with wilkinson intonatable three piece saddles and strat contours.

that contoured body can be done and the callaham saddles are killer, though i really like the slightly out of tune sound of old teles.

You are right abou the right player getting ahold of a tele. I have found i can make mine sound like a strat, tele, lp with p90's and an lp with the right amp settings and right amount of attack. It really does take a lot of time to learn what seems like a very simple guitar. once it is learned though there is nothing you can't do, jazz, blues, country, classic rock, hardcore, emo, and modern hard rock. those 0's glam rock sounds are a bit hard, but if you want to put a humbucker or single coil sized humbucker in the bridge then you can do anything else. truely the most versitile guitars in my opinion. You get used to the body also, i never did have a problem, except with a 60's tele which had a really sharp edge.

teles don't hide any mistakes either, kinda like playing an acoustic.
                          Cleveland Guitars

Comment

actually, with great technique, it would be hard for anyone to guess what guitar you are playing, tele or not. my views are personal preference, based on what I need from a professional guitar. I can get a great tele sound on my Brian Moore as well as my Music Man- but as far as teles go, I don't like the shape, the out of tune-ness, the metal plate, the position of the switch and volume knob.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Just an additional piece of trivia, it was Gretsch that held the trademark for the name Broadcaster (only I think they spelled it Broadkaster), and it was the name of a drum set, not a guitar. And the Nocaster has 2 pickups, hence I don't think ""you got yourself 1 sound, so you better like it" - that seems to apply more to the one pickup Esquire. Old Teles are the coolest.

Comment

Working...
                              X