Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Marauder

If you don't know, you'd best find out.

Class starts tomorrow in case you don't.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Re: Gibson Marauder

Not a Gibby fan, but these are always cool!
    For people feeling the need to try something experimental.
    http://myspace.com/kchoq

Comment

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Nice idea, but i am not a fan of the Flying V style head stock !
        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

I bought one in 1979 (or 80?) while I was stationed in Germany. It was my first "real" electric. (The first was a crappy LP copy.) When I got to Fort Polk, La. I sold it to the other guitarist in my band and bought a Gibson ES-335-S (solid-body doublecut Firebrand model). I sold the Firebrand in the late 80s when times were tough. So, my only 2 Gibsons were both oddball models!

Comment

Well?!?!?!?

Is it still happening?

Comment

Lesson One: Basic Overview and First Impressions

Well mine is a 1980 Gibson Marauder...these were among the cheapest Gibsons available at the time (retailed new for about $499!) so you'd literally get bodies made of the scraps of alder, maple or mahogany that were leftover from everything else. Mine is lucky enough to be made of two pieces of fairly tight-grained mahogany with a three-piece maple neck (more like five pieces if you count the wings added for that V-style headstock). I like how there's enough room between the neck and body to stash a few important things -- y'know, a few dollars or picks or a credit card or something, just in case (we'll see if my tech can't fix that)

When I met the guy to test her out the electronics didn't work -- she'd been sitting in a case under a bed for about ten years. I negotiated a nice discount and took her home, popped the pickguard off and cleaned everything up and got it working again. When i popped off the guard i was pleasantly surprised to find a massive swimming pool route! So I can drop any pickups i want in here as long as i have a pickguard to mount them in!!

Didn't take but 20 minutes to get the stock circuit back to how it was...strung it up with some 10's and gave it a quickie set-up; she plays like butter!

The stock pickups are really cool, Bill Lawrence designs. The humbucker is big and fat but maintains good definition. The single coil is apparently a relatively high output (for a single coil in the 70's) rail-magnet single coil that kinda sounds like an angry P90. Been using it for palm-muting chugging riffs with no problems. I'm having a love / hate experience with the chicken-head pickup selector potentiometer...it's good for adding a little bite to the neck pickup or adding a little fat to the bridge pickup but it's terrible for switching on the fly, which is something i like to do. Won't be too hard to drop a 3-way in there if i want to but if it comes to that i'll probably just wire up a whole new pickguard with some newer pickups in it and maintain the vintage integrity of the old circuit

As a dude who mostly plays Fenders but has discovered he prefers the feel of Gibsons, and has been wanting a 72 Deluxe Telecaster almost as badly as he's been wanting a Les Paul Special, this guitar comes as a cool surprise and a unique combination of a lot of things i want in a guitar. Is she a keeper? Maybe. Is she awesome? Definitely!

Family pix coming soon.
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
                I kind of like it :P
                Originally posted by ginormous
                Like all other tonal things, "clean" is relative. Do you want "sparkling drop of spring water", or "scrape some poop off the bottom of your shoe before you walk in"?

Originally posted by KoreanGuitarMan
                Actually, shedding the blood of an actual white owl upon an altar wouldn't hurt either.

Comment

Nice Man! I definitely agree w/ wiring up a whole new p/g harness so you can keep that nostalgic blender circuit in tact.....looking forward to the pix .......Congrats & ROCKIT(like I have to tell you!)!!!

Comment

I found one of those at a pawn shop a few years back, woulda went for her, if it wasnt for the headstock and neck being broken and terribly repaired.

They look really cool, imo.

Nice score, need pics!
                    http://www.iainstone.com

Comment

In 1979 I played in a band with a guy who had a Marauder. Always sounded great.

This guy played one for a while too.....

Comment

Can't do the V headstock... just doesn't sit with me...
                        "This is my hat now, this is totally my hat..."

Comment

I had one years ago...mine had been mistreated for a long time and was pretty much falling apart but it sounded pretty cool.

Someone had shoehorned a Tele lead pickup in the bridge position and some kind of unknown bucker in the neck...

Mine was a maple neck and fingerboard with what I htink was an alder body...the guy that I got it from said it was all maple but I'm prety sure it was an alder body.

Overall a neat guitar, I wish it had been in better shape but it got the job done either way.
                          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

A guy I went to school with had one - rosewood fretboard, some kind of trans black finish, normal selector switch. Played it when he came to my house for a jam and it was a pretty decent guitar.

They can be had for pretty cheap, and I guess with a bit of work can be made into good players. Most people are put off by them because they see them as a pinup for everything that was wrong with Gibson in the Norlin era. Only thing that makes them ugly is that scratchplate, imo, otherwise they're fairly cool. I like the frosted green cover of the bridge pickup, makes me thing of art nouveau for some reason.
                            Originally posted by dominus
                            Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

All I can think of is the band Sum 41 when I think of those guitars:

Originally posted by kevlar3000
                              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                              Originally posted by Zerberus
                              Better is often the enemy of good
                              Originally posted by ginormous
                              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
                              X