banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need quick advice on this ebay MIJ strat - are MIJ good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: need quick advice on this ebay MIJ strat - are MIJ good?

This was written to me in an email by the MIJ strat seller...sounds promising i must say:

"THIS GUITAR IS A NEW SHOP DEMO.....its NEVER been played hence NO playing marks on the pickguard. The pickups are the same as Texas Specials/57~62s......one pole is lower and this is NORMAL with vintage pickups. However they are NOT below the covers. These old Jap Strats are BRILLIANT, I have sold over 200 in the last 18 months alone.......what more can I say other than.......you WILL be happy with it! "

"In answer to this question....its strung with 9~42's and bends very easy. NO FRETTING OUT can be found and has an awesome overall sound. "
    My Soundclick page.

Comment

Originally posted by Tweed
      $800.00 AUS=$580.00 US. I would be all over that guitar. Many of the "Q" serial numbers were not exported to the US. MIJ/CIJ Fenders exported to the US were built to different specs to hit a particular price point. Generally, they are not regarded as equals to the domestic Fender Japan guitars which were sold in Japan. The seller says, "Japanese market quality NOT like the ones imported here". He may well be correct. One tipoff that suggests it's a domestic Fender Japan Strat is the staggered polepieces. Many of the guitars Fender imported to the US and elsewhere had cheaper, non-staggered polepieces. Are there exceptions? Probably so. I'm guessing the pups in this guitar are Fender pups, probably Vintage 54s or Texas Specials. I would email and ask specifically what pups they are. The pots may be minis...no biggie, and easily replaced if you want CTS pots. Also be aware that domestic Fender Japan Strats (and teles...can't speak for other models) almost always have the 7.25" fretboard radius. I would ask the seller about that as well. If you can't hang with a 7.25" radius you might want to look for something else. Personally, I don't mind that radius. A proper fret redress takes care of any problems with string choking. The body should be alder, not basswood or poplar or whatever. As for "early" Fender Japan guitars being better, I think it depends on how you define "better". If having a nitro finish makes it better, so be it. Anyway, Fender Japan did start using poly finishes later on, but they never abandoned nitro finishes, and it's not unusual to find "Q" series or later models with a nitro finish. Bottom line...they are great guitars, and a great value. I owned 2...a '54 RI Strat made in 1994 (that I truly regret selling...one of the nicest Strats I've ever had my hands on) and a '62 RI custom Tele made in 1999 which is another outstanding axe. I've played others, and always walked away impressed. There is also no difference in quality beween domestic MIJ and CIJ Fender guitars. That's just a bogus rumor that floats around. The price on that guitar is good, IMHO. I paid about the same for mine. I know of one UK dealer who has a few domestic Fender Japan strats he's selling for around $800.00 US. I'd ask the seller some questions and go from there. Looks to be in great shape as well. BTW, Fender Japan is still building guitars. The US doesn't import them anymore since they can be made more cheaply in Mexico and elsewhere.
      Thanks for that info, what exactly would the 7.25" radius be? What exactly does that mean...forgive my ignorance but im not that technically profficient yet.
      My Soundclick page.

Comment

lol, dude your making me wanna buy it...

Comment

I think it's a little overpriced but it's a nice axe. I'd hold out for a slightly older one though or get an American one from the same period.

Comment

I've found with strats that if I pick up 10, no matter where they were made, I'll end up liking 3.

I'd suggest going to a music store and playing vintage reissue strats with 21 small frets and the 7.25 radius, which has more curvature between the two E strings.
            Then, play a brand new American Series strat, and see which one you prefer.
            I think the best playing strats, for my taste, are the modern American Series necks.
            I've had reissues from Japan and US, as well as a bunch of Am Std's. The brand new Am Series with 'rolled edges' really feel great in my hand....much better than the others. Just my opinion, of course.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
            X