Wikinson roller bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wikinson roller bridge

I'm thinking about getting a Wilkinson Roller Bridge to fix some intonation issues on my explorer, Does anyone have any experience with these bridges?

Does anyone know the maximum size string that could fit in the Low E saddle?
    I'm currently using a .059.
    Thanks for any advice or input!

Re: Wikinson roller bridge

I have one and I love it
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
      On tailpieces: I recommend Wilkinson's brass roller bridge. I have played a lot of bridges, and this is the one that was the magic bullet for my Epiphone. They come with both metric and standard hardware. They also lock in place, like a Tone-Pros. Aces.

I put that brass Wilkinson roller bridge on my 335, and I like what it did for my tone.

The stock TOM, and I only know this now, after swapping it out, gave me a hollow, kind of scooped sound. This new brass roller bridge yields fuller lows, low mids, mids. I feel like the vibrations from the strings are being transferred more efficiently to the body of the guitar now too. That's possibly a function of the locking design.

I didn't buy the bridge because it was a roller. I bought it because 1) it was smooth, no sharp edges (I like to palm-mute, this was a godsend), 2) it's made of brass, 3) it has a very wide range of travel for individual intonation (I had experienced intonation problems with this guitar on the stock TOM), and 4) the locking studs were an attractive design feature.

I have never had a really high end bridge on a guitar, but all of the changes that I noticed with this Wilkinson really impressed me.

-Hunter

BTW, here is the bridge I put on mine --- it's superlatively well made, very heavy, solid, and no rattles, by design. I have no idea why it's so affordable.

Wilkinson Brass Roller Bridge - Locking Studs

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Any experience using extremely large strings on them?

Comment

Originally posted by Warheart View Post
          Any experience using extremely large strings on them?
          well, im sure with proper setup, theyd work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
            well, im sure with proper setup, theyd work fine.
            +1 I love mine I think it would take just about any string size
            Originally posted by ginormous
            Like all other tonal things, "clean" is relative. Do you want "sparkling drop of spring water", or "scrape some poop off the bottom of your shoe before you walk in"?

Originally posted by KoreanGuitarMan
            Actually, shedding the blood of an actual white owl upon an altar wouldn't hurt either.

Comment

How is it gonna do anything about intonation?

Comment

you can angle the bridge back more, depending on how you set the locking screws.
                Also, the saddles have more room to be adjusted, as well as having a wider base than the tonepros t3bp I have now.

One thing I can think of is that the rollers might not be wide enough to seat a .059, or even a .064 properly. There is also no way to adjust it to fit, you can't really file down a roller.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                  How is it gonna do anything about intonation?
                  haha that's what I was wondering too. It looks like a nice bridge and maybe it gives more range for intonation but the rollers definitely don't improve the intonation themselves. I suppose that aspect of the thread was not clear in the original post.

Comment

If this is the same bridge...

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,...er_Bridge.html

...and I think it is, the saddle radius is 14", where the fretboard radius of most Gibsons/Epiphones is 12". Not sure how much this matters, but that always turned me off to this bridge. Also, the string spacing is 2", slightly narrower than modern Gibsons.
                    "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Comment

Reviving an Old Thread!

I just got one of these roller bridge to try out, and I gotta say, My strings won't fit in it.

Does anyone know of a way to file a roller saddle to make it wider?

Comment

Working...
                      X