Axis vs AX40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axis vs AX40

ok... here it is point blank: Is the Axis a $1k better guitar than the AX40?

I owned an Axis in the late 90s, and thought it was a great guitar. I played an AX40 today at the store and though it was a great guitar. The trem stayed in tune, the pickups sounded good. The neck felt really good. The guitar just felt solid. So in my search for a new guitar, I'm wondering if I should keep saving my pennies (damn, the Axis has gotten expensive since I bought my last one!)or buy the AX40 and pocket the extra money that I would save.
    2001 Les Paul Classic (Antiquity Set)
    2005 Les Paul Standard (Aldrich set)
    2019 Washburn N24 (Duncan Custom Shop PATB)

Re: Axis vs AX40

As someone GASsing for an Axis SS, I plan to split the difference and get a used US-made Axis.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
    My Music

Comment

I have an Axis and I'm loving my Charvel Pro mod right now... bigger frets and wider neck

Comment

I wouldn't ever spend more than about 500 bucks on a guitar made of Basswood...

Charvel ftmfw
        Originally posted by jcthejester13
        Some musicians are good, and some are not so good. Some musicians use guitars, and some don't use guitars. The end.

Comment

I scored an Axis Super Sport recently for $750... if you're patient you can get a good used one on CL or eBay for 3/4 or less the price of a new one.

I don't think the real Axis is $1k worth of materials better, but you're also paying for the time and the skill of the workers at the SLO factory. US-made = premium.

The AX40 is an superb guitar for the price point it's in. If I wanted an Axis badly enough and couldn't justify/didn't want to/couldn't drop coin for a US made one, I'd get an AX40 no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by oilpit View Post
            I wouldn't ever spend more than about 500 bucks on a guitar made of Basswood...
            Seeing how the AX40 goes for more than that, I guess you're saying you wouldn't get either one.

FWIW, here's what I ended up with: eBay link. IMO it's definitely worth $200 more than an AX40, especially since I love unfinished all-rosewood necks. I wish it had a trem but between my Tele and PRS Singlecut that's something I'm learning to live without.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
            My Music

Comment

I would buy a used Axis for cheap instead.
              Ibanez Roadstar II
              EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
              VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

Working...
              X