Next Project. Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Project. Thoughts?

This is a rough sketch of my next project guitar. I am looking to get it started in a month here or so. Here are some details on what I am looking to do with it:

- The headstock will be changed to a paddle/story-book style headstock
    - Neck-through guitar
    - quilted maple body (edges around the neck piece)
    - Top 1/3 or the body will be routed out and an F-hole will be added to give it some semi-hollow abilities
    - Neck pickup: Danelectro style lipstick SLD-1
    - Bridge pickup: SD phat cat SPH90-1
    - The bridge pickup will be split coil with push/pull arrangement so I can go between two single coil sound, and single-HB sound
    - Still can't decide if I will do V/T for both pickups, or just T/T/V
    - TOM bridge
    - Tailpiece ?? (still debating between a Bigsby trem bar or a Trapeze style tailpiece)
    - It will be finished in a cherry finish

Any thoughts? Opinions? Concerns? Also... I can't figure out a name for it, so if you think you have a good name, throw it out there.

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by jcthejester13; 03-22-2010, 01:15 PM. Reason: correction
    Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05
    I dig the wood!

Re: Next Project. Thoughts?

I made one from swamp ash one time, heavy as heck! but sounded nice.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

I am thinking of going the maple route.
      I dig the wood!

Comment

Cool, good luck...I just started getting plans and materials for my first build. Well, I'm not building a neck, got that from Warmoth.

Keep us updated on the progress.

Jason
        "It was a new day yesterday, but it's and old day now."

Comment

Don't make it neckthrough. It makes the guitar harder to put together, if the neck is messed up the guitar becomes a doorstop, and the sustain thing is a myth. Someone performed an experiment where they discovered that a good bolt on joint actually has more sustain due to the glue used in neckthroughs. Furthermore, if the heel is really bugging you you could just do an invisibolt thing where you start the neck in the middle of the body. Kind of a bolt-through type thing.

edit: what body shape?

Comment

I really like the look of a good smooth neck-thru design though. And I really want to start pushing my abilities to make guitars so I figured that was a good next step.

Also, I love the racing stripe look of natural neck-thru guitars.
            Last edited by jcthejester13; 03-23-2010, 10:19 AM.
            I dig the wood!

Comment

fair enough, as long as you know what you're getting into.

Comment

The body shape is almost like if a Strat and a Jaguar had a baby and then that baby grew up and mated with a Les Paul, but the Les Paul had more recessive genes.

That type of body style.
                I dig the wood!

Comment

- The headstock will be changed to a paddle/story-book style headstock
                  - Neck-through guitar
                  - quilted maple body (edges around the neck piece)
                  All maple body will be pretty shrill, especially with single pups.
                  I'd look at making the neck-thru a maple/walnut/maple lam. Check out how Carvin does their neck-thru.

What do you mean by "edges around the neck piece"?

Other body things to consider... recessed strap locks, recessed jack, recessed cavity cover so it fits flush with the back, made out of the body wood.

Any idea about neck specs?
                  I'd consider a bone nut and locking tuners.
                  And with a guitar like that you'd have to look at an ebony fretboard... mmm ebony.

- Top 1/3 or the body will be routed out and an F-hole will be added to give it some semi-hollow abilities
                  - Neck pickup: Danelectro style lipstick SLD-1
                  - Bridge pickup: SD phat cat SPH90-1
                  - The bridge pickup will be split coil with push/pull arrangement so I can go between two single coil sound, and single-HB sound
                  Not understanding your scheme here.
                  IIRC, the Phat Cat is a 2 conductor pup so you can't split it.

If you end up with an HB in the bridge, then use a Triple Shot for sure. Simplifies the coil split thing.

It looks like you're contemplating a 5-way switch.
                  Have you seen this?

Have you played on an all maple guitar with a Dano neck pup?
                  I haven't, but I'm wondering about how trebly it would be.

As much as I like the HxS layout, I've never been a fan of Lipstick pups.
                  I really like stuff like the Hot Rails in the neck with an HB bridge... that way I can split both and mix and match.

I'd look at the StraBro90 neck and maybe dig thru some of the more unusual SD humbuckers... maybe a StagMag or the PRails.

- Still can't decide if I will do V/T for both pickups, or just T/T/V
                  Definitely V/T for both... maybe stacked V/T on concentric pots?

- TOM bridge
                  - Tailpiece ?? (still debating between a Bigsby trem bar or a Trapeze style tailpiece)
                  - It will be finished in a cherry finish
                  Bigsby, definitely.
                  Better break-over pressure compared to Trap.
                  Have you seen the Hipshot BabyGrand bridge?

Cherry finish with natural edge binding would look sharp.

Any thoughts? Opinions? Concerns? Also... I can't figure out a name for it, so if you think you have a good name, throw it out there.
                  Thanks for looking!
                  Gold or chrome finish?
                  Chrome and cherry sounds nice.

I like the body style... almost wanna see a violin scroll for the upper horn.
                  In fact, I'm seeing a BabyGrand bridge, gold trim, with a violin finish and a really traditional f-hole!

Good luck!

MM
                  MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
                  Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

All maple body will be pretty shrill, especially with single pups.
                    I'd look at making the neck-thru a maple/walnut/maple lam. Check out how Carvin does their neck-thru.
                    What about going all maple and eliminating the lipstick from the neck?

Other body things to consider... recessed strap locks, recessed jack, recessed cavity cover so it fits flush with the back, made out of the body wood.
                    I am planning on recessing everything so it has a really flat clean look to it

Not understanding your scheme here.
                    IIRC, the Phat Cat is a 2 conductor pup so you can't split it.

If you end up with an HB in the bridge, then use a Triple Shot for sure. Simplifies the coil split thing.
                    Damn! I wasn't aware that was the setup of the phat cat. You have me rethinking the pup setup to match the all maple body. What do you think about doing a full-sized HB in the bridge that I can do a push/pull setup with, and a single-coil-sized HB at the bridge that I could also split? What pups would you recommend for that set up? I am looking for pups with chrome or nickel covers on them.

It looks like you're contemplating a 5-way switch.
                    Have you seen this?
                    Actually I am going to just go with a 3 way toggle

Chrome and cherry sounds nice.
                    Here is ultimately what I am looking to do for the color scheme...

All chrome/nickel hardware from stock to butt. Cherry headstock top. Ebony fret board. The rest of the neck would be finished in creme. The body would have a creme racing stripe down the neck section, and the rest of the body would be finished in cherry. So the body would ultimately go: quilted maple cherry/ creme maple/ quilted maple cherry

I will have to look into that bridge
                    Thanks
                    I dig the wood!

Comment

]What about going all maple and eliminating the lipstick from the neck?
                      You'll need to find just the right pups to go with the maple/ebony combo.

I am planning on recessing everything so it has a really flat clean look to it
                      Awesome.

Damn! I wasn't aware that was the setup of the phat cat. You have me rethinking the pup setup to match the all maple body. What do you think about doing a full-sized HB in the bridge that I can do a push/pull setup with, and a single-coil-sized HB at the bridge that I could also split? What pups would you recommend for that set up? I am looking for pups with chrome or nickel covers on them.
                      HxS is one of my favorites.
                      Not sure about a chrome/nickel covered single... I'd look at the Hot/Cool Rails or even the PA-STK1n for the neck.
                      If you want it covered, you'll probably have to go HB or find a Tele neck pup you like.
                      I found this, Lipstick Tube for Strat SLS-1, but no idea what it sounds like.
                      For the bridge I'm thinking Custom Custom or one of the PATBs.
                      They seem to work best for brighter guitars.

Here is ultimately what I am looking to do for the color scheme...

All chrome/nickel hardware from stock to butt. Cherry headstock top. Ebony fret board. The rest of the neck would be finished in creme. The body would have a creme racing stripe down the neck section, and the rest of the body would be finished in cherry. So the body would ultimately go: quilted maple cherry/ creme maple/ quilted maple cherry.
                      Ahh, ok I see what you're talking about.
                      I'm not sure the quilted maple/maple will be very much of a contrast.
                      But cherry stained quilted maple should look awesome.

I will have to look into that bridge
                      Thanks
                      No problem.

MM
                      MM

2000 ES335LE Teal Blue, 2009 Gibson LP Trad Pro HCS, 2007 Edwards LP-130LTS/RE Lemon Drop, 2010 Gibson '50's Tribute Studio Goldtop.
                      Carvin V3, Bogner Alchemist, Egnater Rebel 30, Peavey Classic 30, Dave Hunter Two-Stroke, Digitech GNX3, Carvin T100

Comment

if you really like the sound of a p90 but want to split the bridge, you could always try p-rails. Otherwise I'd suggest something warmer like a 57 classic or a seth lover.

Comment

Working...
                        X