banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how low can you get the action with a 9.5 radius?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how low can you get the action with a 9.5 radius?

Looking at the highway 1's and wondering how low you can get the action with a 9.5 radius. I love the way I can setup my gibsons and ESP, but I know they both have a flatter radius. The only experience I have with anything less was a 7.5 which is quite a big difference. Wondering how the 9.5 compares.

Re: how low can you get the action with a 9.5 radius?

IMO, it all depends on how good the frets are dressed and leveled- and has nothing to do with the radius. If your nut is cut the proper radius, frets are leveled properly, and bridge properly radiused, you can get at least 1/16" action, and even lower. My Eric Clapton strat has the lowest action out of all my guitars

I recently tried a 1973 Strat with a 7.5" radius, (refretted with 6105's) as well as the Fender Road Worn series- and was able to get the action very low at 1/16". Neither of them fretted out on bends either

As far as the Highway 1's, they have Jumbo (6100) frets, so that helps playing.
    Last edited by jmh151; 03-23-2010, 07:46 PM.

Comment

my fender jaguar supposedly has 7.5 radius, and the action can get pretty low!

i dont prefer it, for tonal reasons, but it is possible.

im talking like, 1mm low at the 12th fret.

Comment

Originally posted by jmh151 View Post
        IMO, it all depends on how good the frets are dressed and leveled- and has nothing to do with the radius. If your nut is cut the proper radius, frets are leveled properly, and bridge properly radiused, you can get at least 1/16" action, and even lower. My Eric Clapton strat has the lowest action out of all my guitars

I recently tried a 1973 Strat with a 7.5" radius, (refretted with 6105's) as well as the Fender Road Worn series- and was able to get the action very low at 1/16". Neither of them fretted out on bends either

As far as the Highway 1's, they have Jumbo (6100) frets, so that helps playing.
        Well if you're talking the Highway 1 models that came into being in recent years, yeah.
        The older ones didn't have jumbo frets though

Comment

With a pro fret dress and level you can go VERY low on a 9.5 radius...
          If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
          X